Discuss Moving circuits / federal electric in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been asked to price for moving the circuits from an old 'Federal Electric' 3 phase board to a new(er) crabtree one mounted a few metres away.

The main switch is badly melted etc. and they have subsequently lost the red phase (so dumb waiter, etc. ) in a restaurant. I can't get a replacement switch, and the board is in poor condition anyway.

I want to give as low a price as possible as I think I could get more work off the owner. The more recent board fitted further along has plenty of spare ways. The circuits in the old board include some 3 phase cooking appliances (building all electric) numerous socket circuits, hand dryers etc.

The old federal electric board has had a plasterboard wall built around the sides and top, with other DBs, FA panel, sec. alarm panel etc. mounted on so replacing this board isn't an option- there is NO space and no chance of getting it out. My idea was to remove all the guts inside and fit some DIN rails with connectors and extend all cables out of the bottom and over to the next DB, then drill some holes and bolt the lid of the old DB shut.

What is the minimum amount of testing/certification to provide & would RCBOs be required -at all- . (Unrelated but I was surprised to find out from NAPIT that I didn't need to RCD protect some modified socket circuits in some offices- RCD rule of cables less than 50mm etc. is for dwellings only?! I didn't question this too much as I managed to save £125 each on square D RCBOs I'd been quoted from wholesaler to fit the obsolete board)!

Cheers

(Unrelated but I was surprised to find out from NAPIT that I didn't need to RCD protect some modified socket circuits in some offices- RCD rule of cables less than 50mm etc. is for dwellings only?!
Cheers

Don't know where it states that in the regs.

The blokes exact words were that the RCD/17th rule applied only to dwellings and my circuit modifications/alterations in the office block did NOT need RCD protection. I thought it was odd but I also thought that people working for what is a BS7671 technical helpline would know better than me! It's all done and dusted now though.

The more pressing matter is pricing this job adequately!

Was the NAPIT assessor under the illusion that the sockets would be under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person. If he was then he is quite right even if the circuit comes under the reg 522.6.6, reg 522.6.7 supercedes it. He is though wrong that Reg 522.6.6 only covers domestic installations, it covers all installations.

If you were extending the cables into an existing board and using the original protection device then you could have issued a MIEWC. If you extending the cables and changing the protection devices as you are in the other board then you need to do an EIC as this will come under an alteration.

The 3 phase appliances can be MCB protected you will just have to ensure your disconnection times, and if those cookers are on a TN system and over 32amps you can have a disconnection time of 5 seconds. Same with the dumb waiter I would mcb it and confirm the disconnection times. Reg 411.3.2.3

The sockets I would RCBO them. As for cost well after calculating your materials, I would day rate them. If you think it will take you 2 days then charge them what you want as an hourly rate.

Reply to Moving circuits / federal electric in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock