Discuss mr16 v gu10 Lamps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

madspark

i am in a bit of a delema i prefer using selv lighting as i think it is brighter but is it anymore energy efficient ie 50w @ 12v verse 50w@ 240v

Re: mr16 v gu10

mr 16 all the way!

mr16 advantages; light is whiter,lamp cheaper to buy lasts longer, more energy efficient,lamps available in different colours,wider range of downlights/fittings available

gu10 advantages;cheaper to buy than mr16, slightly faster installation time due less terminations

mr16 disadvantage; transformers can be expensive, installing transformers can take longer additional connectors required etc

gu10 disadvantage;lamps can be more expensive, dont last as long as mr16

Thats my opinion anyway!!!

Additional caveat would be MR16 in LED Last so much longer, No need to burn 50 w when 5 or 6w can be of similar Lumens with a choice of White`s & colour`s that run cooler.
The GU10`s loose out on safety, higher costs, failure rate, only in LED versions as they are now coming down in cost. I would certainly not fit anything but LED, preferably in MR 16 !

That ones dragged up from the dead!

I apologise if that is not kosher, thought it still relevant with the new developments in LED`s which have come "Alive" since then. LED`s have come down in price and become so much brighter & IMHO still better in MR 16 - 12 v as they are now good value, SELV safer, last longer, run cooler, etc. etc.

I apologise if that is not kosher, thought it still relevant with the new developments in LED`s which have come "Alive" since then. LED`s have come down in price and become so much brighter & IMHO still better in MR 16 - 12 v as they are now good value, SELV safer, last longer, run cooler, etc. etc.

I'm not so sure efficiencyman.. I agree that LED's are a good choice, but with 12V you have a larger current running through the terminals and (I would think) more chance of a fault if not terminated well?

Also you have an LED driver which takes longer to terminate, they are expensive and you have also introduced an added component, so thats something extra that could become faulty.

I prefer GU10 LED. Will be interesting to hear other opinions?

GU10 LED for me as well. Finishing a job off today changing over MR16 fittings to GU10 LED's and the difference is amazing. I'll take a before and after pic and post up later.

PS, LED technology has come a long way in 6 and half years since this thread was first started :rofl:

The GU10`s loose out on safety, higher costs, failure rate, only in LED versions as they are now coming down in cost. I would certainly not fit anything but LED, preferably in MR 16 !

Safety - Lost count of the amount of MR16 fittings I have seen that have burnt through cables, joists, transformers, weakened ceilings etc

Higher costs - MR16 set ups cost more than GU10 LEDs now, I can't think of MR16 ever being cheaper than GU10 even years ago

Failure rate - Lamps fail then the lamp holder connections burn out and then usually the transformer fails as well....assuming the house has not burned down yet

MR16 is and always has been crap and the sooner the EU phase out for the 50w lamps begin the better in my opinion

Reply to mr16 v gu10 Lamps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock