Discuss NAPIT OR NIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys

I am really conflict as to who I should go with as i am looking to go it alone this year.

Napit are cheaper and less fuss - however the brand is not recognized that well
Napit appear to be allot easier to start off with because they only want to view one job, they also seem cheaper.

NIC are more well known - more fuss and much more expensive.

can anyone say my sweeping comments are correct?

I guess it will depend on your customer base.

If you work for large commercial/industrial business maybe NIC.

If you work for smaller companies or just domestic use the cheapest.

But on the other hand we work for the likes of Pepsi Co and we have zip.

Do you really 'need' either?

I'm just weighing up the same mate, I live in Jersey and I either have mates business which is NIC full scope go over testing, do some tests again and sign off to LABC or I have to sign up myself and cover all my own works.
Napit will fly me to Bristol and sort all my competencies after tests for ÂŁ480 and cover me full scope. Whereas to get the same NICEIC will cost ÂŁ1,000 and need to come here and look at 2-3 jobs to get full scope registration. A lot of companies here have gone NAPIT whereas my mates place were under both but left NAPIT and stayed only NICEIC saying he thought they were better !

Even Householders recognise NICEIC. Some ask for it, not too many, but it does happen. I registered with Napit some 10 years ago but changed to NICEIC a year later as no one recognised it. Probably a little different now. I still tell potential customers to get other quotes from another NICEIC approved contractor though.

NAPIT originally started out as a testing based organisation only hence National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers. This was limited and they broadened their horizons.
About ten years ago I got involved in a dispute over some works by one of their members, the NAPIT representative told me that they knew some contractors were not up to scratch but if we turned these away we would have no members.

NAPIT originally started out as a testing based organisation only hence National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers. This was limited and they broadened their horizons.
About ten years ago I got involved in a dispute over some works by one of their members, the NAPIT representative told me that they knew some contractors were not up to scratch but if we turned these away we would have no members.
Oh not good at all ! Why don't NIC stop being greedy then and drop their prices then and get all decent ones onboard ?

Go with Stroma, cheaper ÂŁ288 all in, one job (but two new circuits) required and they are currently building a death star with a view to taking over the world. If you are mainly doing domestic most customers wouldn't even know what a scheme was, never had anyone ask me who I was with, just am I part P. Just ask yourself what you are joining a scheme for? I don't subscribe to the NAPIT or NIC are more well known argument as a reason for spending more money, it's a big con, as long as your work is good the customer doesn't really care.

Oh not good at all ! Why don't NIC stop being greedy then and drop their prices then and get all decent ones onboard ?

That's not their business model. It's based on high turnover not quality. They see the legacy of their reputation as one that cannot be sullied so do whatever they like to make lots of money.

I changed to Stroma as they were the cheapest. However after my first assessment with them I felt that they were more thorough than Elecsa and therefore their acceptance standards are higher. I was a bit wary of changing but I think I definitely made the right choice.

I changed to Stroma as they were the cheapest. However after my first assessment with them I felt that they were more thorough than Elecsa and therefore their acceptance standards are higher. I was a bit wary of changing but I think I definitely made the right choice.
Brilliant stuff, ok so stroma do they have certification software and also all in how much is the first year with this stroma

I guess it will depend on your customer base.

If you work for large commercial/industrial business maybe NIC.

If you work for smaller companies or just domestic use the cheapest.

But on the other hand we work for the likes of Pepsi Co and we have zip.

Do you really 'need' either?

Yes i just do the odd commercial and mainly domestic, i would like to just do commercial at some point however for now i think maybe stroma?

Brilliant stuff, ok so stroma do they have certification software and also all in how much is the first year with this stroma

They have free certification software available to members but from what I hear its not very good. I use easycert myself but there are plenty out there.

No their software isn't the best but it does the job. It isn't idiot proof. On the other hand, do we really want idiots certifying work

Nothing wrong with the Stroma software, just takes a while to get your head around how you access it, doesn't store information so you have to input on every cert, when printed or e mailed looks professional and notifications are easy.

Reply to NAPIT OR NIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock