Discuss Need a sanity check on a 3-way smart switch installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

relytgerg

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie in this forum. I'm a homeowner who's done plenty of simple lighting, outlets, etc. even including a couple of circuit breakers. I've never done a 3-way switch before though, let alone a 3-way smart switch. I've been doing my homework, but would still like a sanity check. The current wiring on very old three way switches looks like this:
3wayExisting_resized.jpg
I am planning to install a 3-way smart switch with WiFi capability and a dimmer. It's this one from GE. It will go in the primary (SW1) position. For the add-on switch, I'll be using this from GE in the SW2 position. Per this video I will be wiring things as follows:
3waySmartSwitch_resized.jpg
This seems to solve the problem of the missing ground wire in the older wiring on the secondary switch and still meet the requirements of the wiring for the new smart switches.

As it says in the subject line, I'd appreciate a sanity check on this.

Thanks.

Reply to Need a sanity check on a 3-way smart switch installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Is the following set up possible with a 3 Gang 2 Way Smart Wifi Switch set up (the black glass type touch ones) One of the 3 switches, switches...
Replies
Views
FYI --- This is a U.S. installation. I'm replacing a three way switch (the UK might more sensibly call it a two way switch??) with a Kasa Smart...
Replies
Views
I can't seem to find the right answer for a smart switch installation for a light that has THREE switches. There's conflicting information, and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock