Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Need a sanity check on a 3-way smart switch installation. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

relytgerg

DIY
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi. I'm a newbie in this forum. I'm a homeowner who's done plenty of simple lighting, outlets, etc. even including a couple of circuit breakers. I've never done a 3-way switch before though, let alone a 3-way smart switch. I've been doing my homework, but would still like a sanity check. The current wiring on very old three way switches looks like this:
3wayExisting_resized.jpg
I am planning to install a 3-way smart switch with WiFi capability and a dimmer. It's this one from GE. It will go in the primary (SW1) position. For the add-on switch, I'll be using this from GE in the SW2 position. Per this video I will be wiring things as follows:
3waySmartSwitch_resized.jpg
This seems to solve the problem of the missing ground wire in the older wiring on the secondary switch and still meet the requirements of the wiring for the new smart switches.

As it says in the subject line, I'd appreciate a sanity check on this.

Thanks.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Aico 3000

Reply to Need a sanity check on a 3-way smart switch installation. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom