Discuss New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ideally that does want changing in my opinion.

I'd probably be slightly more than £500 with that amount of circuits so price seems ok. As above though this depends on what is and how it's fitted. You won't get all RCBO's for that money I bet.

Hi, although the property isn't for rental, never say never so I'd like the unit to be fully compatible and safe into the future. What unit would you suggest or advise to cover all bases. How much above £500 do you think? Any particular units in mind? Thanks.

Why are the dates blanked out on the label?

The way I cropped the image cut out the year part on the end so I blanked it out to avoid confusion. The dates show the unit should have been tested again back in 2016 which of course it wasn't and the reason I got the electrician to come and quote me for a full test.

i would agree with the sparks. if it were me, i'd probably cut it down to a 13 way board. a dual RCD unit would come in around £500.an all RCBO board would be more like £750. so he' does not seem to be overcharging.
the disadvantage with the dual RCD board is that if 1 RCD trips, you lose half the house circuits, whereas with RCBOs only the faulty circuit would be lost.
personally,i'd go the extra mile for RCBOs, but it's your choice. ask the spark to explain in more detail so you can make an informed decision.

testing should be just that, make sure the installation is as safe as it was when it was installed.

An EICR should also highlight non-compliances where an improvement can be made for safety reasons.
An EICR is carried out to the current edition of the wiring regulations, not to a previous version.

i would agree with the sparks. if it were me, i'd probably cut it down to a 13 way board. a dual RCD unit would come in around £500.an all RCBO board would be more like £750. so he' does not seem to be overcharging.
the disadvantage with the dual RCD board is that if 1 RCD trips, you lose half the house circuits, whereas with RCBOs only the faulty circuit would be lost.
personally,i'd go the extra mile for RCBOs, but it's your choice. ask the spark to explain in more detail so you can make an informed decision.

Thanks, very helpful, will definitely take your advice and hopefully go the extra mile with RCBO's. Sounds perfect, much appreciated.

Did you get a quote for having an the testing done and an EICR (electrical installation condition report) completed?

I would suggest having this done as there may be other areas where the installation could be improved which aren't apparent at first glance.
The lack of RCDs for the age of the installation suggests that it may not have been fully compliant when installed, which suggests to me that other areas of the installation may also have not been compliant.

Did you get a quote for having an the testing done and an EICR (electrical installation condition report) completed?

I would suggest having this done as there may be other areas where the installation could be improved which aren't apparent at first glance.
The lack of RCDs for the age of the installation suggests that it may not have been fully compliant when installed, which suggests to me that other areas of the installation may also have not been compliant.

I originally asked for a full PAT test, not sure if that was the right thing to do, for which I was quoted £200 + VAT, however, on insepecting my premises and conincidently to your above comment the electrician did say that he wouldn't be surprised to find other issues based on the current setup. I tried to press him but he obviously said he wouldn't know until full inspection or the new board was being installed. He mentioned that if I didn't want to go ahead with a new board, he could fully test the current one but wouldn't give me a test for longer than 12 months and would note all the issues. Fair play.

So to explain some terminology for you.

A PAT test, is portable appliance testing, to test items you would plug into a socket. (There is a newer acronym for this, but as this doesn't ever fall under my scope of work I don't know it)

An EICR, is an electrical inspection and condition report. This involves testing the fixed wiring within the house. This is the inspection you want before a board change to highlight any potential problems. Some older electricians may still refer to this testing as a PIR or periodic testing.

There's a find a local electrician part on this forum, although I'm not sure if it's up and running since the forum upgrade.

Personally I would recommend an EICR, by a competent electrician. (Anyone quoting less than 150quid is not going to be thorough). Then use these results to see if you want to spend on upgrading the CU or if you wish to wait a while.

So to explain some terminology for you.

Thanks. It's so embarrassing coming on to a forum like this and being so totally clueless and showing it for all to see. You guys have been very kind and patient, much appreciated. Feel like I'm actually learning something useful for the future. I'll do as you mention and get the EICR completed.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's so embarrassing coming on to a forum like this and being so totally clueless and showing it for all to see. You guys have been very kind and patient, much appreciated. Feel like I'm actually learning something useful for the future. I'll do as you mention and get the EICR completed.
i don't know what your line of work is, (please tell) but it's 100-1 that i would not have a clue about that. each to his own, i say.

Full eicr

New all rcbo board

Looking at about a grand in my area

I don’t normally agree with EICR’s before every CU change, but in this case I don’t see there’s any reason not to. With that many final circuits, for seemingly single sockets or lights, I think the wiring might have been hacked about by someone. I think there might be other problems.

With a board this old and then fitting a dual RCD board you may have issues with 'borrowed neutrals'. Testing before changing the CU should give the electrician this info.

I don’t normally agree with EICR’s before every CU change, but in this case I don’t see there’s any reason not to. With that many final circuits, for seemingly single sockets or lights, I think the wiring might have been hacked about by someone. I think there might be other problems.

Can't deny I'm getting a little concerned as to what other issues may arise.

The issue I have mentioned above is not a big issue.

Reply to New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock