Discuss New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just because your old board isn’t up to current standards does not mean it is not safe for continued use. It does not have to be changed.
However any decent spark would advice you do change this to include the residual current protection most circuits now require in domestic installations.

Remember the spark should advise, not tell you. He should also make it clear you don’t have to get it done.

Just because your old board isn’t up to current standards does not mean it is not safe for continued use. It does not have to be changed.
However any decent spark would advice you do change this to include the residual current protection most circuits now require in domestic installations.

Remember the spark should advise, not tell you. He should also make it clear you don’t have to get it done.

More serious note, if this is a potential let property (or any newly purchased property), spark advising to go for new CU with RCD’s, is not bad advice, is it not?

Hi Pete, just to clarify that if I do get the new board it will be compliant with your above comment?

Wot about some lovely SPD’s and even AFDD’s :)

WHAT!? :)

An EICR should also highlight non-compliances where an improvement can be made for safety reasons. An EICR is carried out to the current edition of the wiring regulations, not to a previous version.

I've definitely decided to go with the EICR then the new CU with individual RCBO's, I think that's the right terminology.

Did you get a quote for having an the testing done and an EICR (electrical installation condition report) completed? I would suggest having this done as there may be other areas where the installation could be improved which aren't apparent at first glance.

The original electrician who visited my property stated he'd text me a quote within 3 days, that was over a week ago and no response so I'm assuming he doesn't want the job. I'm hoping to find an electrician who can quote me for the EICR and to install a new electric hob and cooker hood I've already purchased. Then come back to do the report then install the new CU.

Out of interest, is there any way I should prepare the property before the EICR is carried out, will the electrician need access to every plug socket in every room etc? Is there anything I can do at the property to make the job easier?

Can the forum recommend a wonderfully talented reliable spark in the South Yorkshire area? :) Looking to have these jobs done as soon as possible. Thanks so much for all the help.

Can the forum recommend a wonderfully talented reliable spark in the South Yorkshire area? :) Looking to have these jobs done as soon as possible. Thanks so much for all the help.

I was going to suggest you put it in the jobs section of the forum, but I can't seem to find it now.. :laughing:

Midwest said:
Wot about some lovely SPD’s and even AFDD’s :)
WHAT!? :)

Your quote was lost amongst the others. My post was a bit tongue in cheek :)

SPD is a surge protection device, and AFDD is an arc fault detection device.

I'm no longer up to speed on the latest wiring regs, so others my well comment on both. But I seem to recall the former is probably some relatively cheap & worthwhile installing. However the latter is hideously expensive in comparisons to other devices in a CU, and has dubious results.

There have been a couple of threads on both devices recently; opinions, requirements, pros & cons etc. Can't seem to find them. If you have time, use the search function on the forum.

If you are adding in spds and Afdds you might as tell the customer to take out a second mortgage

Last board I priced up with spd and afdds came out near £800 just on materials

I supply, fit test inspect certify notify a full RCBO board with serge protection for £650.00. In domestic.

There are some who will do it for a lot less, but you’ve got to question why they are charging so little.

Any less and it surely has to be a cash job...

A basic split rcd board change anywhere within a 30 min drive of me is ball park £800 notes.
Addition gas/water bonding will add £150-200 on to your bill

SPD is a surge protection device, and AFDD is an arc fault detection device.

So if I get the new board, bring down the circuits from 16 to maybe 13, RCBOs each circuit, and now add on SPD as well. Will this be the Crème de la crème of CU's or are there 10 other abbreviations I need to know about :) This property has been good to me so I'll install whatever you guys advise for a really decent upgrade.

This is just my opinion if it were my house , I would fit an rcbo board and try to trim down the circuits to around 10 or 11 if possible.
I wouldn’t bother with the spd and certainly not bother with the afdds

So if I get the new board, bring down the circuits from 16 to maybe 13, RCBOs each circuit, and now add on SPD as well. Will this be the Crème de la crème of CU's or are there 10 other abbreviations I need to know about :) This property has been good to me so I'll install whatever you guys advise for a really decent upgrade.
Don’t worry about the arc fault detection as mentioned earlier. But the surge protection adds about £100 to the cost of Board. Most quotes for board changes will include this as standard. But some don’t.

Definitely RCBO board with surge protection is the best way to meet current regs.

SPD surge protection device. To fit or not to fit.

Different sparks will give different answers.

I fit them as standard as per I interpret the regs.
Other sparks may interpret regs differently.

Personally I don’t think they add any safety value to a domestic property, but it’s not my call to question the regs so I fit them.

SPD surge protection device. To fit or not to fit.

I fit them as standard as per I interpret the regs.
Other sparks may interpret regs differently.

Personally I don’t think they add any safety value to a domestic property, but it’s not my call to question the regs so I fit them.

Thanks. Something I forgot to mention, the electrician did say that as the internet is so important to my work, he could add another plug socket on the wall directly behind where the CU is situated and isolate it from everything else so if a surge or fault did hit the system my internet wouldn't be affected. Maybe this was him talking about SPD's.

Thanks. Something I forgot to mention, the electrician did say that as the internet is so important to my work, he could add another plug socket on the wall directly behind where the CU is situated and isolate it from everything else so if a surge or fault did hit the system my internet wouldn't be affected. Maybe this was him talking about SPD's.
There are different levels of Surge protection.

I won’t go into details, but having one in the CU as part of CU swap is first layer of protection.
A second layer of surge protection at the sockets is also advisable especially next to vulnerable equipment like computers.this can be in the form of a socket with surge protection built in, or an extension lead with surge protection built in.
Also having the computer socket on a separate circuit is a good idea regardless of surge protection.

Think they are talking about nuisance tripping

Reply to New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock