Discuss New member for new career in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, my names dean from Southend. I'm looking to build a career as an electrician after being a stay at home dad for a few years. My wife and I are due our second child and wants to spend more time at home with the kids this time round so it gives me a chance to learn a trade and build a career for myself. I have completed a short domestic installers course in the hope of being able to find some electrician mate jobs but so far no luck as most jobs are advertised wanting 1-2 years of experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have experience working on sites, homes and hotels as a painter and decorator just not a lot of experience in electrical work.

Hi pete, hows your morning so far?
Got up about Six still not fully awake, shopping with the Wife, then whatever life throws up, retired now, so no more hastle I hope, how about you? Are you just starting out?

Got up about Six still not fully awake, shopping with the Wife, then whatever life throws up, retired now, so no more hastle I hope, how about you?
Oh nice. My daughter isn't at playschool today because she isn't feeling to well. I still have to do all the usual housework though. Hoping I receive some luck on St Patrick's day and find someone who can take me on and train me up lol

Oh nice. My daughter isn't at playschool today because she isn't feeling to well. I still have to do all the usual housework though. Hoping I receive some luck on St Patrick's day and find someone who can take me on and train me up lol
Nothing serious I hope, or is it a case of "I want to stay with you Daddy"? good luck on the job front.

Hi Dean Head if you saw all the posts on here of people becoming electricians, you would think there is nothing in the world but electricians. Maybe take a look at this link for ways to become an electrician. Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp. Try to get work as electricians mate, advertise in local electrical wholesalers. You may wait a long time for a reply. And as regards home duties they will have to come second to daily work so I hope you are prepared for that.

Hi Dean Head if you saw all the posts on here of people becoming electricians, you would think there is nothing in the world but electricians. Maybe take a look at this link for ways to become an electrician. Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp. Try to get work as electricians mate, advertise in local electrical wholesalers. You may wait a long time for a reply. And as regards home duties they will have to come second to daily work so I hope you are prepared for that.
Hi, thank you for the link I really appreciate it. I am looking for full time employment if possible. With my wife being on maternity for a while I'm eager to get back into work and learn and get as much experience as possible.

Is the link for electrical courses. I have done a course and have my 17th edition, level 3 in building regs for electrical installations in dwellings, level 3 in requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2008 (2015) and level 2 in fundamental inspection, testing and verification.

What particular exams are they? i.e. C&G 2382-15? and especially the level 3. Part P building regs is nothing in the scheme of things it is a one day course. If you look at the link you will see it is not courses, it is a comprehensive statement on how you can enter the trade. So you can check if you are eligible to become an electrician.

Reply to New member for new career in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net