Discuss New UFH controller compatible with existing sensor in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Eh up :)

Client (doing other work there) accidentally smashed up their underfloor heating controller in their kitchen. The only thing I've been able to ascertain about the existing controller is that it was made by (or at least branded) Wickes. Had "on/off" and a temperature knob. No model number.

The main cables seem OK: IR is fine, looks like 2 "circuits" with resistances 132Ω and 136Ω. The sensor measured 20.1kΩ, not sure what the floor temperature was, I'd guess about 16C. The sensor terminals say, "ETF .99"

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement thermostat for this, that's compatible with the existing sensor (perhaps one with the option to select?). I'm all for energy efficiency and programmable this and that, however it's a retired couple and they seemed quite happy with their switch and knob. There is a GCH radiator in the kitchen as well, which is the main source of heating. I can probably rustle up a temperature probe to measure the floor temperature and get another reading, if that'll help?

Thanks for anyone's help, recommendations or advice. :)

Sounds like one of the generic rebadged kits. nearly all the ones i have come across have used similar to this...
Manual Underfloor Heating Thermostat | CEF - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/376913-manual-underfloor-heating-thermostat
£35 + vat in cef which is weirdly for them a very good price and cheapest i have found. Have fitted a few of these now and had no issues.
Easy to install. line in line out. matt in and out and probe in and out. only tip is use some ferrules on the thin wires to get a good grip when tightening up.

"Good price" and "CEF" in the same sentence... huh! (You did say "weirdly" to be fair!).

My only concern is I've seen different makes with different sensors (so they're a different resistance at their reference temperature). I know some of the posher ones (e.g. DeviREG) you can select this - just wondered if there was either a cheap and cheerful one you could do this for, maybe with a DIP switch?

Morning,

Have you got a image of the controller as ETF is a floor sensor and model of thermostat we used to have, so may have a suitable replacement available. Do you know the resistance of the floor sensor at 20 degrees?

If not we can supply a thermostat which can be used with any floor sensor.

Digital Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat - https://www.uheat.co.uk/digital-touchscreen-programmable-thermostat/
Hi, thanks for your help. :)

I don't know the resistance at 20C I'm afraid, I failed to take a temperature probe with me today at the property.

I've taken a couple of photos, though:

DSC_0147 copy.jpg DSC_0148 copy.jpg DSC_0149 copy.jpg
Thanks for the link... that one looks like it might be a bit complicated for my clients... unless you can set it up so the screen shows just a knob and a switch like the old one! :)

Hi, thanks for your help. :)

I don't know the resistance at 20C I'm afraid, I failed to take a temperature probe with me today at the property.

I've taken a couple of photos, though:

View attachment 46072 View attachment 46073 View attachment 46074
Thanks for the link... that one looks like it might be a bit complicated for my clients... unless you can set it up so the screen shows just a knob and a switch like the old one! :)
I recognize that thermostat straight away! It's one of the OJ Electronics range, which is what Elektra use, but just branded in there name.
I've checked out the OJ Page and that thermostat uses the same floor sensor as our current manual thermostat.
Linked below are the pages to the thermostat you have and a replacement we can supply.

ON/OFF Thermostat MTU2 - https://www.ojelectronics.com/business-areas/electric-floor-heating/products/products/electric-floor-heating/simple-on-off-thermostats/on-off-thermostat-mtu2-prod62

Manual Thermostat c/w Floor Sensor - https://www.uheat.co.uk/manual-thermostat-c-w-floor-sensor/

That's awesome, thanks! :)

I'll order one from you later today, if I get 5 mins between jobs.

Cheers! :)

Well done to the forum sponsor. out of interest are all these badged manual thermostats all the same? as i recently bought the one linked in my earlier post from CEF and its basically the same when you look at it. i assume there is the one company making them and just putting different logos or brands on them

Well done to the forum sponsor. out of interest are all these badged manual thermostats all the same? as i recently bought the one linked in my earlier post from CEF and its basically the same when you look at it. i assume there is the one company making them and just putting different logos or brands on them
Morning Gavin,
There's loads of companies making a "manual" thermostat however there is still difference in quality. OJ Electronics are made in Denmark and also very well known, where's a cheaper version will most likely be outside the EU. The difference is within the terminals and the contacts used inside.

Reply to New UFH controller compatible with existing sensor in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net