Discuss NICEIC Assessment first timer. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all, prob been asked lots before but is anyone NICEIC registered and can make head or tail of half the documents they require ?

Seems pretty extensive and even saw that they may need a letterhead with company name on or similar too ?
I don't have anything like that as I compile estimates through my quickbooks and only other things with company details / logo on are my polo shirts, jumper, jacket and business cards !
Oh and iCertifi account too.

I have printed off a great pile of paper for Part P document and do I need to buy the HSE Memorandum of Electricity at work regulations 1989 too ? as seems to appear for near ÂŁ100 !

Also do I require risk assessments, complaints paperwork etc.. even if nothing filled out on them?

Any help greatly appreciated as just a bit nervous now that it's all a bit heavy for a sole trader just doing a few jobs !

Thanks all.

Most of this stuff is either downloadable or pretty generic, i.e search google and download/amend appropriately.

Memorandum on Elec at work act 1989

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...fjjUJlJIOf60fc7dF0xEtg&bvm=bv.151426398,d.d24

My experience of the assessors is they are fairly reasonable and it's well worth chatting to the one assigned before hand.

I'm no expert but it appears you may be preparing for a company approved scheme assessment rather than a personal one - not sure on this though.

Most of this stuff is either downloadable or pretty generic, i.e search google and download/amend appropriately.

Memorandum on Elec at work act 1989

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiF6N7b-YvTAhWoCMAKHYbiBJIQFggaMAA&url=http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsr25.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE80wABfjjUJlJIOf60fc7dF0xEtg&bvm=bv.151426398,d.d24

My experience of the assessors is they are fairly reasonable and it's well worth chatting to the one assigned before hand.

I'm no expert but it appears you may be preparing for a company approved scheme assessment rather than a personal one - not sure on this though.
Thanks mate, am going Domestic Installer route then Approved contractor soon after due to costings and that's what they said to do as it's cheaper than going AC straight away ! It is personal assessment as far as I am aware.

Thanks for the link, I take it that I can download and print off the whole doc rather than buy it ? Would that be accepted?

Plus do I need to have read end to end part p and the hse docs ? As they're pretty huge !

Thanks again for the help.

yes just download and print the doc.

You will be expected to know the bits that are relevant to your activities, joist drilling/ chase depth and cable safe zones but this knowledge will be evident in your work.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation , you only need to know the bits you need but will have to read the whole doc to figure that out. Best kept on the back of the bog as browse at your leisure.

Wish I could spend more time with you on this but got new born daughter clawing holes in my eyes.

Good luck

All the documents are probably a good idea to have for running your business effectively so will pay dividends in the end.
GBDamo has covered the memorandum of guidance EAWR 1989.
Even if you have the documents in electronic format and can show the assessor your laptop with the documents then they should be happy with that as you can reference them (but it is easier to have them printed out).
You will obviously already know the entire contents of the Part P and HSE documents as you are a competent electrician! However in the assessment if they ask something about them that you do not know they will be happy that you can look up the right document and find the answer (they may be more impressed that you remember but it is not necessary) but you do need to know where you can find the answer so a good overview in your mind is best.

You should have risk assessments in place already if you are working, though HSE guidance says risk assessments do not need to be documented if you have less than 5 employees the NICEIC wants them documented. You should have a health and safety policy as well (easily downloadable and modifiable).
I have attached generic one from HSE as a pdf, but I think it is available in word from HSE, just to give you an idea.
For ease you could print out (have available) HSE guidance and have generic risk assessments referencing HSE guidance, but best if you can do your own, I think Elecsa had a risk assessment document you could download(?!). The same with complaints paperwork, a list of say months with "None" filled in but you should have a procedure in place for complaint handling.
If you have estimates with your business details on then printing one of them out could serve as a headed paper. Remember you have to supply your business address on formal documents.

It is not that bad when it comes down to it, for a sole trader things can be fairly generic.

Good luck, do not get buried in paper!

Attachments

• risk-assessment-and-policy-template.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 65
I have not long had my first NIC Approved contractor assessment and have all the documents you need .Email me at bobgeldoff1985 at hotmail.com and i will send them to you.

it's cheaper than going AC straight away !
We don't have the Domestic Installer Scheme here (only the Approved Contractor Scheme), but I can't understand how it could possibly be cheaper to apply for DI before AC?

Surely you need to join the Jersey scheme anyway as the States of Jersey requires this for all work (not just domestic)?

We don't have the Domestic Installer Scheme here (only the Approved Contractor Scheme), but I can't understand how it could possibly be cheaper to apply for DI before AC?

Surely you need to join the Jersey scheme anyway as the States of Jersey requires this for all work (not just domestic)?
Hi mate, basically the guy on phone indicated that it works out ÂŁ970 straight out for AC but if going DI first it is ÂŁ215 and ÂŁ215 a month later and then if wanted to go AC they come back and do one more job visit and it's ÂŁ350 or ÂŁ370 more so makes it ÂŁ170 cheaper overall.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll be in touch Bob, thank you, It's only me employed and so a lot of things I wasn't aware of regards the extra documentation regards risk assessments etc.. I usually just work the risks out by common sense and applying what I've learnt to survive so far. Thanks again to all who posted ;)

You could consider Storma. They are cheaper and simpler...

Oh well I better stay on the mainland then...

You would think so but I don't know over here, they all seem to make their own rules up !
I maybe wrong but haven't Scotland got a couple of scams that aren't recognised here could be the same principle, for you stroma doesn't operate or just isn't recognised in your area.

that's discrimination they are not allowed to say that .
They are free to specify whatever they want. As Soulsurfer stated contractors are either NIC or Napit in Jersey. There is also no ECA in Jersey - there is the Jersey ECA. (It doesn't offer assessment or certification services though to my knowledge.)

Stroma doesn't exist here either.

Hi there as the Channel islands are part of the EU they cannot refuse to recognize Stroma or any other approved body. Sounds as if they need to be refered to Strasbouge So Mr Junkers can have a word in their shell like ear

Hi there as the Channel islands are part of the EU they cannot refuse to recognize Stroma or any other approved body. Sounds as if they need to be refered to Strasbouge So Mr Junkers can have a word in their shell like ear
Ahh not part of the Eu here mate, they've always been seperate, although the powers that be are a little shady !

Reply to NICEIC Assessment first timer. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock