Discuss No Earth in light circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an looking to replace some plastic surface switches and I have noticed that there is no earth wire.

So I don't think I am going to be able to any metal fixings.

What are my options.

1. Just leave it as it is.
  2. Look to get the circuit re-wired.

Thanks

If there is no earth class 2 must be used and preferably have the small white caps over the screws, otherwise to use class 1 you'd be looking at getting an earth into the circuit. Of course making sure it is RCD protected also

If there is no earth class 2 must be used and preferably have the small white caps over the screws, otherwise to use class 1 you'd be looking at getting an earth into the circuit. Of course making sure it is RCD protected also

Hi Matthew,

It's a 1950's property and the wiring and fittings are probably the same in some of the rooms. This is in a hallway and there is noticeable earth conductor going coming through the back box.

All it has one of the switches is a red wire and two black ones.

The back box has an earth terminal but no earth and the switch plate has two uncapped metal screws. So I take it that it is not Class 2.

It's fused at the box with an old push button thing, but it doesn't look like a modern RCD flick switch type.

I suppose all I can do is replace the switch with a Class 2 fitting, or get the circuit replaced and connected to an RCD.

The metal back boxes may have nylon type lugs for the front plate screws, if thats the case then they do actually do metal over plates that you mount on the front.... Not the prettiest but if you dont like your white switches and dont want a rewire its an option

house or bungalow?
Approx 15 years ago I had the same problem in a bungalow..
All was ok apart from no RCD and no lighting cpc..
I installed an RCD and a separate 1mm cpc for the lighting circuit..

house or bungalow?
Approx 15 years ago I had the same problem in a bungalow..
All was ok apart from no RCD and no lighting cpc..
I installed an RCD and a separate 1mm cpc for the lighting circuit..

Hi,

It is a maisonette.

I could do that, but I am thinking about getting the property inspected and see what they recommend.

Maybe I could get a partial rewire done to bring it up to spec, or just go for a full re-wire. But that is going to cost ££££££.

Thanks

The metal back boxes may have nylon type lugs for the front plate screws, if thats the case then they do actually do metal over plates that you mount on the front.... Not the prettiest but if you dont like your white switches and dont want a rewire its an option

Hi, the back boxes are the surface mounted plastic types. I would like to change them over to the metal ones and put in some flush metal switches. But this is not going to be possible after I inspected the wiring. I didn't think that I would come across anything like this but you live and learn. I want it to be safe and comply with the latest regs. So the only option I can think of is it get it rectified or leave it as it for the time being.

Thanks

Definitely go for an inspection, you will then be given a report with all observations, recommendations, etc

Most of the wiring is run along the walls about the skirting in plastic conduit and I only think that the hallway and maybe the kitchen lights sockets are going through the walls. So I would be trying to get the best price possible if I was going for a re-wire.

Thanks

My folks property,was built in the 60's.and had no cpc to any fitting or switch.
An inspection showed they had all been clipped back at the sheath (t&e) :rolleyes: some micro surgery later,saved the day.

I guess the original spark must have been a Christian fundamentalist...

Was that also the case under the old 16th?
The singles that I ran in were insulated and sheathed, as I needed to pick up some live feeds and also at that time it cost less than g/y singles

Not 100% sure about the 16th mate. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us.

Reply to No Earth in light circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock