Discuss non electrician but with 2391 work on live boards? in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

the sparky

Hi all newby here,

can a non qualified electrician but with the 2391 work on live boards??

live working is a no full stop but in this instants its unavoidable.

i know the training for the 2391 has to have live tests but are they qualified enough to be working on live boards?

thanks

Not sure you can take the 2391 without having at least part 1. The college I took mine at wouldn't let you sit 2391 without passing part two of 2360 (or whatever they call it now). Our apprentice who has qualified found that they now won't take you on 2391 unless you have had a decent amount of practical experience as well. There is a very high failure rate, and I think most colleges want to keep their pass rates as high as possible, and allowing non qualified people to do the course won't help their statistics.

Hi all newby here,

can a non qualified electrician but with the 2391 work on live boards??

live working is a no full stop but in this instants its unavoidable.

i know the training for the 2391 has to have live tests but are they qualified enough to be working on live boards?

thanks

Hi
Anyone can work on a "live" board it doesnt matter about what number qualification you have ,if you want to do it go right ahead,enjoy yourself ,you only live once:)
atvbitwww

all the very best in the whole wide world
isnt having the 239 but not being qualified a bit like a pub without beer?

electricity at work says NO think its section 14 or 15 on live working and competence

all the very best in the whole wide world
isnt having the 239 but not being qualified a bit like a pub without beer?

It the reason they won't let you do lvl 3 certifcation anymore without already having experience or lvl 2 course (part P /2330 etc).

Gosh - us old duffers might need a translation for this one!

I thought he just had parkinsons or DTs

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you can take the 2391 without having at least part 1. The college I took mine at wouldn't let you sit 2391 without passing part two of 2360 (or whatever they call it now). Our apprentice who has qualified found that they now won't take you on 2391 unless you have had a decent amount of practical experience as well. There is a very high failure rate, and I think most colleges want to keep their pass rates as high as possible, and allowing non qualified people to do the course won't help their statistics.

there are no pre-requisites for sitting the 2391, - not even a regs qualifacation!

Of course, it is desirable to have experience etc etc but not an absolute

Re: working on live boards

2391 doesnt 'qualify' you to do anything, but is a good bench mark for competence, which is what is required. Sufficient knowledge experience to avoid danger etc etc

What exactly do you intend doing on these boards?

i differenttiate between 'working' and 'testing' - if you want to measure Ze, PFC's etc then you no option to go live

there are no pre-requisites for sitting the 2391, - not even a regs qualifacation!

Of course, it is desirable to have experience etc etc but not an absolute

OK - I understand this. To my knowledge all of the colleges around here that run 2391 are constantly over subscribed by a large number, and seem to feel the need to keep us the pass rate, so tend to want 2360 or equivalent plus some experience as course entry qualifications, or electricians that have been working in the trade for a decent lenght of time.

If most colleges are over subscribed nationwide (and I don't if this is the case or not - just assuming), then maybe this is a national picture. With that in mind, I just find it a little difficult to believe that someone has been accepted for, and passed a 2391 qualification without other qualifications or experience.

OK - I understand this. To my knowledge all of the colleges around here that run 2391 are constantly over subscribed by a large number, and seem to feel the need to keep us the pass rate, so tend to want 2360 or equivalent plus some experience as course entry qualifications, or electricians that have been working in the trade for a decent lenght of time.

If most colleges are over subscribed nationwide (and I don't if this is the case or not - just assuming), then maybe this is a national picture. With that in mind, I just find it a little difficult to believe that someone has been accepted for, and passed a 2391 qualification without other qualifications or experience.

i would tend to agree with you

i each 2391 for a private training company, the vast majority of my 2391 students will have done the EAL DEI and 17th with me, most will also have their 2392 with me as well.

I am not interested in pass rates, i never even keep track of them. I am more concerned with putting students in for quals which are beyond their current capabilities. i have withdrawn students from 2391 previously because they have failed their regs exam

But my whole point is those are my rules not C&G's ;)

Fair play to you Shakey, common sense does appear at times in our industry. After more years than I care to think about in the industry I did 2391 last year as a proof of competance. Half of those on the course were retraining and had taken a Part P course and were then taking 2391 too (paid for as part of re-training), there was also one person who had been offered a job with a testing company and needed it to show customers, other than that he had no electrical experience. I wonder at times what I gained my qualifications for. seriously though, isn't it time our industry toughened itself up.

Reply to non electrician but with 2391 work on live boards? in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net