Discuss notches in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bee-gin-errr

hi ladies and gents. were gettin some pretty major electrics done at the moment and i was having a look at the lighting circuits the electricians are putting in just out of bare faced curiosity. it appears that they have put little notches or nicks in the cable ends. were a few with 2 notches and even some with 3. are these used for some sort of identification or something?

Yes

These are identifying the swith wires, feeds,loop feeds etc so when they come back to 2nd fix they know what each cable is.

Every sparks seems to have a different way of marking cables and i've had to bell out an entire lighting rewire before connecting because someone else has wired it!

when I served my time as an apprentice I was told that the live and neutral had no nicks, live and switch wire one nick and any loop switch wire and neutral had two nicks when using T&E.

See what i mean thats 2 slightly different ways.

How about 3 cores for 2 ways and outside lights with permanant live to them

You could have a 3 gang switch by front door with strappers for up and down lights 2 ways, switch wire for down light and 3 core for outside light.

I would mark them;
Switch wire-one nick
down light strapper 3 nicks
up lights strapper 4 nicks
o/s light- a cross

I dont use 2 nicks for anything! Just the way i was taught when i was an apprentice:)

feeds have a diagonal cut

Switch wires have 1 nick on the side of the cable

strappers have a nick in middle of the cabel inbetween the 2 cores

Loop cables dont have any marks.

I just keep a permanent marker in my pocket. Loop cables have to labelling, switch cables and links to other lights on the same switch are labelled, that way no confusion.

Ooops! Typo, sorry, Loop cables have NO labelling!

Last edited:
labelling takes time and time is money my friend.

The worst is running data cables. I hated it, used to nick the cat5 with up to 15 nicks. Just to **** the data guys of

I go with Had8lives and just use the permanent marker

And all of these nicks, notches and croses have proved one thing, - there is no standard for this and you can definetely only rely on marks that you have put on the cable yourself! (or someone you KNOW is working to the same rules!)

we had to finish of a polish sparks job. Every cable was marked in polish, imagine the fun we had

Do they do a translation for the regs book?
i cant understand some of it in English so how do the imigrunts get on i wonder

hey dont knock the polskis i had a couple of north of the english border folk that couldnt mark cables ; i usually have to find out for myself despite what been marked ;
Half the time i cant remember what I marked thats why i use a permanent marker.......

Reply to notches in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock