Discuss Nuisance tripping after splitting a ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As i sheepishly had to admit earlier in this post because I'd asked to all the plugs to be removed and fCU's turned off and it was still tripping so assumed that it would be a a faulty piece of cable.
I know stupid mistake but hopfully one I'll learn from once this has been sorted
Were the FCUs DP ??? that could/will be the cause of tripping with them in the off position, if they weren't, NE fault?????

Were the FCUs DP ??? that could/will be the cause of tripping with them in the off position, if they weren't, NE fault?????
I'm going back there wednesday night after work so will double check
so far with the help of the forum I'm thinking of joining the ring back up and doing an
Ir test
and am wondering if its worth doing an R1 RN and R2 test on the ring
or to keep the two leg seperate as one leg trips the RCD straight away and the other leg takes nearly 10 hours to trip the RCD
if that make any sense

When you go back just put everything back to how it was.
Check all the terminations, inspect cables for damage..
With all appliances disconnected conduct an IR test between all cores and observe results.. Should hopefully be faulty. Next split the ring and test again. Carry on breaking the ring down and testing till you hopefully find the fault or even faults.

Remove one leg from the board and split the circuit half way does it still trip?
Remove one leg from the board and split the circuit half way does it still trip?
The situation that we are in at the moment is that the RCD was tripping
we then split the legs at a socket
one leg seemed to be working fine
the problem seemed to be on the other leg between a socket in a cupboard and an FCU. we managed to replace that section of cable and all seemed ok with that leg.
then the leg that seemed ok started tripping the RCD so maybe in our ruch we got something wrong so ended up turning the ring into two radials.
the leg that started to trip was left disconnected and the other leg seemed fine only for me to be told that, that leg is now tripping the RCD after a few hours.
the fridge and the freezer which were on that leg are now being supplied from an extension lead which is plugged into the other bank of MCB's but the first RCD is still tripping after a few hours.
Hope that makes sense

With all appliances disconnected conduct an IR test between all cores and observe results.. Should hopefully be faulty. Next split the ring and test again. Carry on breaking the ring down and testing till you hopefully find the fault or even faults.
will do as asked
and again thank you all for your understanding and patience with someone who cut corners

Keep it simple.
Don't get distracted. (say he who's been off on many right, or is that wrong, tangents in the last 50 + years).

As has been said, put it back how it was, if possible.
Test from there to start, then split and follow the fault around the ring (or is it?) till you find it.

What you know is;
Splitting has now caused 2 apparent faults when you only had 1 to start with.
Replacing a section of cable has made no difference.
You've spent quite a bit of time getting nowhere.

Keep it simple.
Don't get distracted. (say he who's been off on many right, or is that wrong, tangents in the last 50 + years).

As has been said, put it back how it was, if possible.
Test from there to start, then split and follow the fault around the ring (or is it?) till you find it.

What you know is;
Splitting has now caused 2 apparent faults when you only had 1 to start with.
Replacing a section of cable has made no difference.
You've spent quite a bit of time getting nowhere.
[/QU

Ha Ha
thanks for pointing out that i wasted Approximately 6 hours
but I've no one to blame but myself

Afternoon
back at the job have split the ring at the point we believe is the last socket on the ring before going back to the board
everything disconnected and all FCU's turned off

results of IR @500v
short leg
L-N 999
N-E 999
L-E 0.05

on the long leg
L-N 0.04
N-E 0.14
L-E 0.01

any suggestion please

Afternoon
back at the job have split the ring at the point we believe is the last socket on the ring before going back to the board
everything disconnected and all FCU's turned off

results of IR @500v
short leg
L-N 999
N-E 999
L-E 0.05

on the long leg
L-N 0.04
N-E 0.14
L-E 0.01

any suggestion please

Now the investigate starts .... both "legs" don't look too good

You need to take sockets off and break the long leg into half, then half again.

Tedious I know but the only sure fire way of investigating properly.

Also ask questions about water leaks, putting up pictures, rodents .........

At least you've got some good figures. Well, bad figures but at least they are bad enough to be traceable. Must be a couple ue of 'proper' faults there somewhere.

Now the investigate starts .... both "legs" don't look too good

You need to take sockets off and break the long leg into half, then half again.

Tedious I know but the only sure fire way of investigating properly.

Also ask questions about water leaks, putting up pictures, rodents .........
update
split two legs in another socket and one one leg getting continuity between all 3
L-N
L-E
N-E
and the IR reading are 0.03 on all 3

update
split two legs in another socket and one one leg getting continuity between all 3
L-N
L-E
N-E
and the IR reading are 0.03 on all 3

With that IR reading my guess is there is a load you're not aware of plus a L-N or N-E fault

Have you checked for outside sockets, lights, RCD sockets,

Is this the only socket circuit in the house?

Reply to Nuisance tripping after splitting a ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock