Discuss Odd issue with TV turning OFF when another device is turned ON. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
OK, this is just odd, we have a wall mounted TV, fed from 1 side of a Dual Socket. The other side of the same socket feeds 7.1 Amp an Android Box and a Router. The Socket is on the Ring Main on the main floor, with 8 other Sockets, on this Floor and upstairs. Also, as I discovered yesterday, the Combi Boiler is also on the same RCD in the Consumer Unit.

Every now and again, the TV just goes off and straight back on, when something else is switched on. Now that can be a TV on a completely different circuit and breaker or the Lights Upstairs. Even something like a Printer being switched on can cause the TV to 'blip"

I have checked all connections in every plug in the house, tightened every screw in all sockets and all screws in Consumer Unit. I have found nothing loose. I have used a plug in polarity tester to make sure all plugs are OK, which they are.

I am lost now. I am leaning towards a failing Power Supply in the TV that is very susceptible to an even minute power dip. Open to any suggestions.

This has to be something to do with the remote controls or TV setup? My TV remote will control my Amazon TV and other connected devices without me ever having set it up.

I assume when you turn something on, it's either the remote directly switching power on/off to the TV. Or the HDMI port is activating the TV once the unit plugged in via the HDMI is detected?

This has to be something to do with the remote controls or TV setup? My TV remote will control my Amazon TV and other connected devices without me ever having set it up.

I assume when you turn something on, it's either the remote directly switching power on/off to the TV. Or the HDMI port is activating the TV once the unit plugged in via the HDMI is detected?
No remotes are used at all when switching something else ON. I do not have remote controlled lights upstairs or printer. The TV upstairs is switched on with the button on the front.

Can you go in your TV options and settings and see if you can configure your TV to not pick up HDMI power?

Sometimes devices send signals to your TV via IR too. So check the connected devices perhaps too.

I think this is probably a setting issue with either your TV or a connected device that's getting power and trying to turn on your TV.

The feature is meant to be setup so that when you get home from work, you power one unit up, and it turns on your TV and Amp and anything else you've set it up to do it on. But modern devices scan for remote signals to copy etc.

So I'm thinking device. And nowt to do with power leads etc.
[automerge]1569183748[/automerge]
When I used my Xbox and had the Xbox Kinect setup, I used to be able to say Xbox On as I was in the kitchen making a brew, and it would power up, then send a signal via IR to turn on my TV, Amp, and Skybox.

Microsoft stopped supporting the Kinect so much so I don't use that now. But if I press power on my TV remote, that will turn on my Amp and TV. And if I power up my Xbox using the Xbox pad, that too will turn on my TV. Which then turns on my Amp.

I think my Amazon remote also does it, but my TV will power up my Amazon TV thing, and then the TV remote controls that device too.

And I haven't set any of that up. I did on the Kinect. But not the recent setup.

Whilst I can understand some of the logic you are using I am at a loss how turning ON a light in my Bedroom can somehow be sending a signal down an HDMI cable into my TV, downstairs! Or am I missing something?

Oh ---- no that's not what's going on in my head lol

Christ knows what that is mate! :D :D :D

I thought you meant other connected devices and stuff.

Don't suppose your light in your bedroom is one of those fancy Philips connected ones?

lol.... Nope, a good old fashioned 150w Incandescent Clear Bulb.....

This is why I did not put my post in this Forum, it was moved here for some reason.

It is just plain weird. I even ran a new Twin & Earth for the TV alone, right back to the Consumer Unit and put it on a new breaker as a temp thing to see if that cured it. It didn't....Odd

Had something similar to this a while ago, my money is on a tv booster in the loft tapped off the lighting circuit.had it with a customer who everytime he turned his lights on it switched the tv off, went in the loft and there was an aerial booster in there tapped into the upstairs lights.
Disconnected it and cured the problem

This is why I did not put my post in this Forum, it was moved here for some reason.
My bad. I moved it there. Moved to lighting forum lol

I think this problem would suit a few categories until we find the source of the problem lol

I thought (and hoped) we had some traffic from Media Centre searches then damn it. Looks like it's another bloody lighting thread and we're not really taking over the world. :(

now that everyone’s confused, I think the OP answered his own question with faulty power supply/ power board in the tv itself.
Not very practical maybe, but can you test
1. A different tv in that location, plugged into everything as this tv is.
2. This tv plugged in elsewhere in the house and see if fault continues.

Does this happen all the time , or only with the Light on in the TV room ?
(Some lamp flicker can upset IR systems)
(a different location = a different lamp !)
--​
(also consider having socket changed if its switch has a poor action)

now that everyone’s confused, I think the OP answered his own question with faulty power supply/ power board in the tv itself.
Not very practical maybe, but can you test
1. A different tv in that location, plugged into everything as this tv is.
2. This tv plugged in elsewhere in the house and see if fault continues.
That is a great idea. Kicking myself for not thinking of it but glad you did. I will swap my two flat screens over for a day or two, see if I can repeat the fault.
[automerge]1569235385[/automerge]
Does this happen all the time , or only with the Light on in the TV room ?
(Some lamp flicker can upset IR systems)
(a different location = a different lamp !)
--​
(also consider having socket changed if its switch has a poor action)

Oh how I wish is did.....lol

No, it is not only the light upstairs it can be almost anything in the house. Printer is on the Ring Main, upstairs, connected via WiFi and starting that printing can sometimes cause it. Not always.

New Socket, New Plug on TV, cut off the moulded one.

Don't get people started on cutting moulded plugs off :D :D

Does the television actually switch off or do you just loose the picture and sound? It could be a marginal signal and electrical interference from other devices being switched on is causing the problem.

That is exactly what happens, yes a much better explanation of the events. Loose Picture, Sound, then it comes back.
[automerge]1569235538[/automerge]
Now you have to work out if it is the outlet or the television ?
Leave the tv where it is and plug it into an extention lead,
Then run power from another circuit see what happens.
And plug a lamp into the outlet, watch it and see if it blips out.

Done, done and done. Lamp fine, TV goes off. lol

You are forgiven.....lol
It still might not be a lighting problem in the end lol so award for most moved thread if we move it again once finding out the actual issue. :)

Jim_e_Jib said: Does the television actually switch off or do you just loose the picture and sound? It could be a marginal signal and electrical interference from other devices being switched on is causing the problem.
That is exactly what happens, yes a much better explanation of the events. Loose Picture, Sound, then it comes back.

This is a very important point. It implies that the problem is not electrical as such, because the TV power is not being affected, only the signal. As per Jim_e_Jib if the signal is just barely strong enough or of marginal quality, ordinary radio-requency interference from any source can disrupt the reception. Could be something amiss with the aerial / downlead / booster / splitter / TV itself.

Check the installation menu for signal strength / quality indicators and if they are available, see how your signal measures up, before deciding on a course of action.

This is quite a common symptom in installed AV systems where signals are being sent through cables right near their maximum permissible lengths. By the time the signal reaches the target device it is heavily attenuated and almost lost in the noise. Although it might work most of the time, a crackle or pop from anything nearby can push the error rate over the limit and kill the picture for a moment. E.g. We had one installation where closing the electric blinds would blank the screen, and another where the sound would go off when the coffee machine heating element was up to temperature. No electrical fault in either case but inadequate signal transmission due to poor choices of cable types and lengths.

Could be something amiss with the aerial / downlead / booster / splitter / TV itself.

Aerial? NO
Downlead? NO
Booster? NO
Splitter? NO
TV? YES

Alright, I will add more details. This happens if the Source feeding the TV is:
Nvidea Shield. Via HDMI
Virgin TiVo Box. Via HDMI
Blu Ray Player. Via HDMI
File on a USB Stick in one of the TV's ports.
Motorised Satellite System, VIA Component Cables 3 Video and Optical for Audio.

No terrestrial TV at all connected now or ever.

Reply to Odd issue with TV turning OFF when another device is turned ON. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock