Discuss Odd issue with TV turning OFF when another device is turned ON. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Few months ago I was working in a house and the tenant had this problem. The kitchen had two identical fluorescents separately switched and one of them, always the same one ditched the signal to the tv when switched on.

A systematic approach will be needed to find if
a) TV is over sensitive (try another)
b) interconnected equipment is funneling in interference.
c) TV temporarily confused starts selecting another source
if more than 1 present!
---
Start with bare minimum HDMI's connected
Just ONE = Blue ray player , no amplifiers or sound systems...
gradually re-building system with more parts.
See if interference stays away until a certain component is added!
(Any figure of 8 mains cables)
(Also leave satellite system -disconected at some point)

Last edited:
This may be a bit of a red herring but did the television come with a ferrite bead for it's power cable? If so, have you used it?
I like your thinking but sadly no. Have a couple lying around though, no harm in wrapping the cable round them is there..?
[automerge]1569255243[/automerge]
A systematic approach will be needed to find if a) TV is over sensitive (try another)

Did that and the TV that was placed there had Zero issues. Odd TV, still did it but it was now being used as a Computer Monitor
b) interconnected equipment is funneling in interference.

Possible yes.
c) TV temporarily confused starts selecting another source if more than 1 present!

Not as confused as me.....
Start with bare minimum HDMI's connected Just ONE = Blue ray player , no amplifiers or sound systems...gradually re-building system with more parts. See if interference stays away until a certain component is added!

Think we have done that but I will try again, with just the TiVo box connected. I will physically unplug all other devices, except TV and Router. Using TiVo because it is so intermittent I would get killed if we are limited to "The Fringe" again.....lol
(Any figure of 8 mains cables)
Great question, to which the answer is ..... No idea.....
(Also leave satellite system -disconected at some point)
Done.

Last edited:
Have you tried to unplug everything. All HDMI's the lot. And run your TV on it's own, even in settings menu, and see if it does it then. If it has power the whole time and it's just Vision that goes when you flick the switch. Try running it with nothing in, and no power to all the devices, and then add them one by one?

I am not sure it will stay switched on if it is just Settings Menu, think it times out and then goes to sleep if no signal within 5 mins...But, I will dig around in the Menu tomorrow.

Today is a Video via USB only day for the TV, nothing else connected, power is via extension cable to a separate socket alongside the Consumer Unit.

We shall see...

Of course, since I started this thread it has behaved perfectly, maybe it just wanted a bit of internet attention.....lol

Just wanted to come back agin to thank everyone for their suggestions. Having gone through the entire house and checked tightened every screw I a happy to report that I think I found the offending thing. Well, in the Consumer unit the Neutral feed from the meter was loose, it took way more turns than it should have, didn't see any signs of arcing, not sure if I would or not but anyway there was none.

Found 3 or 4 really grotty looking connections i an upstairs room and even a live cable just hanging in the wall cavity space. Not terminated or anything, looked like it used to feed an Expelaire which had been removed and the wires just left hanging...Hmmm, not clever.

So, over 2 week now and the TV is behaving.

Thanks

Just wanted to come back agin to thank everyone for their suggestions. Having gone through the entire house and checked tightened every screw I a happy to report that I think I found the offending thing. Well, in the Consumer unit the Neutral feed from the meter was loose, it took way more turns than it should have, didn't see any signs of arcing, not sure if I would or not but anyway there was none.

Found 3 or 4 really grotty looking connections i an upstairs room and even a live cable just hanging in the wall cavity space. Not terminated or anything, looked like it used to feed an Expelaire which had been removed and the wires just left hanging...Hmmm, not clever.

So, over 2 week now and the TV is behaving.

Thanks
I totally forgot about this thread. So pleased you identified it. Isn't electric weird.

Reply to Odd issue with TV turning OFF when another device is turned ON. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock