Discuss Old Council Controlled Central Heating Contactor in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shep65

-
Reaction score
Hi, a friend of mine has moved to what once was a council house, and has a contactor that was apparently used by the council to control the heating. He wants to change over to an economy 7 type meter. The DNO won’t do anything until the contactor is gone, but won’t touch it themselves. It’s not clear how it’s wired. So, does anyone know how this type of arrangement is connected, to save a lot of “belling out” please? Pics have been uploaded. Thanks.

FF86A189-41B0-4982-B00D-59473571D861.jpeg

3E64F962-391A-4041-B25A-FCAC6C9281CE.jpeg

3ADDFFCB-8273-427A-AEA1-3CF451D60F7C.jpeg

E13FE0DD-8E79-410A-B84D-4264B9F39CE6.jpeg

5C52A0CD-85A2-4671-A334-FC7FB4941045.jpeg

Hi dude,you need to be absolutely clear,about how it is wired up,before fronts are pulled,for photos:)

Basically,the |DNO ,depending on breed,will probably want to fire a 5 lead smart meter at you. Remove the "smart" part,and,after testing of the RHT emitters,and selection of a suitable isolator and fusing,they can fit a RHT meter,and everything inbetween,can be skipped.

The "belling out" that would be required,on a set-up,such as this,would be very straightforward.

A brief explanation of what your involvement is,and whether the system is in use,would bring more assistance.

Black fuse holder is for the heating, grey for the power and lighting.
Need to pull the black fuse, disconnect the cables on the load side (not the red cable at the bottom or the black cable to the key meter) seal the cable entry holes and replace the fuse.
Then remove the rest of the junk.
Not sure where the SWA to the FCU under the contactor is fed from?

I would probably just disconnect the load side of the FCU.
Problem I’m seeing, is that there could be live conductors running through the property which the House holder has no control over.

I would probably just disconnect the load side of the FCU.
Problem I’m seeing, is that there could be live conductors running through the property which the House holder has no control over.

Yes there are the SWA’s in that second meterbox which will be live, and the correct thing to do in a perfect world is dig them up outside the property and joint them there.
However that will require the co-operation of the council who previously owned the property and presumably still operate the heating control circuit.

I hope no one’s thinking ‘free heating’.

I’m not entirely sure what the previous setup was, that’s only a single rate meter in the picture with provision for metering the power used for heating.
Could it be that the council had an unmetered connection which they paid the DNO an agreed price for which they controlled remotely via the contactor?

I’m not entirely sure what the previous setup was, that’s only a single rate meter in the picture with provision for metering the power used for heating.
Could it be that the council had an unmetered connection which they paid the DNO an agreed price for which they controlled remotely via the contactor?
Yes that’s generally how it’s done, same as with street lighting.

Thanks Guys, all good input. I’ll try to trace the armoured cables 1st. The contactor isn’t in use, so I figure that the whole system throughout the houses is no longer used. I understand that it functioned in an era when heating was inclusive of the rent.

Reply to Old Council Controlled Central Heating Contactor in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net