Discuss Old & New Installations in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

weston

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and have been working for myself for 18 months now. I have been an electrician since 1992, but had a break for 8 years and became an IT manager.

I wonder if you can help me get my head round something. I understand that all new builds (domestic) and to the 17th Edition and Part P, but if I go into say a 60 year old property, with a wylex rewirable fuse board, 6mm main earth, 6mm bonding, and I am asked to install a new socket on the ground floor ring, do I need to upgrade the earth, bonding and possibly the CU to meet the regs?

I know this is a bit long winded, but I understand the regs, but I am not 100% sure when to apply them.

Thanks for your help...

As I understand it, the first thing you must do is INSPECT the current installation, particularly the earthing, bonding and protection arrangements. If there are shortfalls you must inform the customer. You should only install in accordance with the latest regs i.e 17th ed, which means protecting final circuits with RCD/RCBO.
Nothing wrong with having a wired fuse system in place, but if you alter it or add to it then you have to comply with current regs.

Hi Randyrat,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know it is a stupid question, but I was a little unsure.

So if the installation is not going to be altered, then there is no reason to change anything, but if an alteration is required, then inspect the current install, and let the customer know what is required.

If it was just an additional socket, would I need to make sure that circuit meets the current regs, or would I need to upgrade all before commencing additions.

For example, it could be possible to move the socket circuit to a seperate consumer unit with rcd or rcbo protection, and leave the rest of the installation as is. would this be right, our should the whole consumer unit be replaced?

Kind Regards

Weston

You could stick the ring on a RCBO if you can get one to fit in the old board , or you could stick a rcd skt/ fuse spare in....Volex 2G DP RCD Skt - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

or change the board , .....

Earthing must be updated to 10mm

HTH

Reply to Old & New Installations in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock