Discuss Our fault again..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I worked at windsor safari park, early 80's or late 70's can't remember...anyhow it was owned by trident television. They said I electricfied the killer whale pool, cos the whale was going crazy. Trident sent a 'top engineer', whom placed a neon screwdriver in the pool. It lit dim, and he said. this pool is live get the whale out ( I kid you not)

He asked how I managed to 'make the pool live' had I by accident 'nicked a cable, or a bad earth somewhere?...err nope. Well how is the pool live?...it ain't i said, the whale does not like the percussion dril. Which I had used to fix cable tray. At the time I had no clue whales didn't like vibrating tools....the 'engineer' thought I was crazy.

I just thought his neon test equipment was faulty -;)

Best thing for those neon screwdrivers is a...... HAMMER to smash them to little bits. It can upset people when it is theirs that you have just attacked with a hammer but they are just not safe

If i see any of our guys with a neon screwdiver it gets hammered plain and simple.

When they complain i tell them "i might just have saved your life"

If i see any of our guys with a neon screwdiver it gets hammered plain and simple.

i found myself having to ask the guys at the electrical safety council at the last excel show why the stall next to them were giving them away, now thats like someone selling a petrol bomb next to a fire station. best place for the neon is the pile ready for the scrap man.

neon? the ultimate multi tool, terminal driver? check, posi/philips? check(apply extra pressure), scriber?check, punch,check, mini chisel,check, cabinet key opener? check........ tester? no thanks:eek:

Just read the story and has made me chuckle as my auntie moved to Portugal with her horses, should i send her the link :D.

Best thing for those neon screwdrivers is a...... HAMMER to smash them to little bits. It can upset people when it is theirs that you have just attacked with a hammer but they are just not safe

Neons are fine as long as they are annually calibrated :eek:

If i see any of our guys with a neon screwdriver it gets hammered plain and simple.

They are not all bad. I have a few as they are just a useful screwdriver. Last year I decided to fix a switched extension socket in the garage just for some clip on spotlights when I am working on bits of woodwork etc and casting a shadow in the wrong position. Having put a lead and plug onto a 4 gang socket and wall mounted it I thought 'did I wire that up OK. I was busy nattering to OH and not concentrating'?

I plugged a spotlight into block and that was OK. Then I pushed a neon screwdriver into live opening on one of the sockets - nothing.Pushed it into the neutral and it lit up. Checked my wiring - OK. Finally found that after the fusebox in the garage the existing socket had been wired incorrectly. The live and neutral had been crossed. I had lived here for 20 years and would not have known.

I worked at windsor safari park, early 80's or late 70's can't remember...anyhow it was owned by trident television. They said I electricfied the killer whale pool, cos the whale was going crazy. Trident sent a 'top engineer', whom placed a neon screwdriver in the pool. It lit dim, and he said. this pool is live get the whale out ( I kid you not)

He asked how I managed to 'make the pool live' had I by accident 'nicked a cable, or a bad earth somewhere?...err nope. Well how is the pool live?...it ain't i said, the whale does not like the percussion dril. Which I had used to fix cable tray. At the time I had no clue whales didn't like vibrating tools....the 'engineer' thought I was crazy.

I just thought his neon test equipment was faulty -;)

Laughed out load reading that story just imagining it, QUICK THE WATER IS LIVE GET THAT WHALE OUT OF THE TANK IMMEDIATELY!!!

Reply to Our fault again..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net