Discuss outside lighting RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andyww

Hi - New member here - great forum by the way - really useful!
I have a dumb question:
I have been asked to run some decking lights for a customer - the house consumer unit is not RCD protected. They have a conservatory built on the back of the house with one double RCD socket run as a spur from the main ring circuit in the house. I want to take a feed from this rcd socket to power the lights (4 x 2w LED IP65 decking lights) via a FCU and a switch. Can anyone advise how I ensure RCD protection on this light circuit? I'm assuming that the RCD socket will not operate in the case of a fault on the light spur, and I can't find an 'rcd protected light switch'.
One option I have considered is: a plug into the RCD socket with flex to a FCU, then out to the lights? Any advice/suggestions very welcome!

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy and welcome.

What you are suggesting sounds fine if the client is happy with that layout.

By the sounds of it, you would not be able to spur off the RCD socket anyway as this appears to already be a spur.

Thanks guys - really useful. I'm not really happy with the layout I suggested as it will be quite ugly! I didn't know you can get an RCD FCU - question on that is, given the FCU would need to be 13amp for the socket, the lights would be on a 13amp fuse also - not 3amp as usual. Is that an issue?

sorry chaps - just typed before thinking! I could use a 3amp FCU as the light switch - so: RCD 13amp FCU - double socket - 3amp FCU (as light switch):)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to outside lighting RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock