Discuss Oven cable melted cable and casing - can't work out why in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Recently got a new oven - hooked it up the same as every other oven I've had. However the live wire seems to have melted, melted the plastic casing and blown the fuse.
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/bnOJTEW.jpg

Any thoughts?

Hi - my thought is the L (red) has overheated, melted its insulation and likely the insulation on the green earth wire and created a short circuit which has blown the fuse. Or not, as it's hard to be accurate from just a pic, sorry. The question is why did it happen? A poor connection, an undersized cable for the load or a faulty oven are some reasons.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

Sorry - I should have stated that the earth wire is unaffected, it's completely clean, I just moved it over a bit for the photo to get a better angle.

The thing is - this is the exact same setup as the previous oven, even down to the plastic cable box. The cable has been use for an oven for years.

Can you provide a picture of the rear side of the connector block?

Loose connection?
What size in KWs is the cooker?
What size is the cable?
What size is the Fuse / Circuit breaker?

The connection was insecure and of high resistance; the heat has melted the plastic housing and probably allowed the terminal to short-circuit to the metal casing. It's not clear whether your side of the connection was at fault or the internal one(s) hence Marconi's question. From the pattern of burning, I think it's your connection.

Common causes are crossed threads - the nut feels tight but isn't clamping the cable or cable not in position so that it creeps out from under the washer. Did you give it a good tug-test after fitting?

Unless you tell us the rating of the oven and the cable size we are merely guessing

I have enlarged the image you provided and can see what might be interpreted as a few strands of the red conductor which have been cut back to where the insulation ends. Thus there might have been a reduction in conductor cross sectional area. This would cause both an increase in current density and resistance - contributing to higher Ohmic heating (IsquaredR).

Is this the case?

The cable has a single CPC conductor and stranded live conductors so looks like 4 or 6 mm2 T/E.

Murdoch is spot on - we need to know the power of the oven, type of oven and size of cable.

Last edited:
Was the appliance connected by a competent person as per the instructions on the oven?
It is easy for the unskilled to miss what would be obvious to a more experienced person and good termination of electrical equipment is a skill in itself.

Thanks all for your time and input,

Unfortunately I can't provide any more photos until later today when I'm home. I'll do this once I get in.

The model of oven is: Cannon by Hotpoint CH60ETC

It was installed by myself - I hooked it up per the little diagram on the rear of the device (which happened to be basically the same setup as my previous oven)

Last edited:
Whatever, the OP is going to need a new termination block & possibly new pieces of oven internal wiring, and cutting back of the supply cable.

From the pic it looks like the plastic surround of the live terminal was broken when terminating, this may be why a secure tight connection was not made, you can see the clean fracture lines to the top left of the termination, this will not have come about from the overheating that led to the melting and shorting out.

Edit - change of mind, just seen where the missing part is, it is melted to the lid thus this fracture occurred after the OP open it post melting.. so as others have said, It comes down to a poor termination, as this was DIY were you trying to tighten the nuts with pliers or something similar or did you use the correct tool.

I used a hex screwdriver to tighten it, but thinking about it now - I may have tightened the black cable second, meaning the red may have been moved slightly.

Sorry for my lack of understanding - but if this was the case, why does a lose connection cause an issue like this. I was under the impression that as long as the metal is touching - it shouldn't matter how tight something is. The tightness was just to hold it in place.

When two things touch, only a very tiny area of material makes contact - the rest of the surface is separated by a thin film of air / grease / tarnish. An electrical connection needs a minimum cross-section of copper-to-copper contact to carry the current, just like a cable needs a minimum cross section. When you clamp a terminal tightly, it squeezes out air and moisture and dirt as the metal cold-flows into position. Only once that has happened is the contact area large enough to carry the current involved here.

Also, as a terminal heats and cools (there's always some resistance, hence some heat) things move. Air molecules get at the surface of the copper and oxidise it, rendering points that were previously in contact insulative. Over time, the entire surface corrodes and the resistance slowly rises until this kind of runaway overheating occurs. When properly clamped, the metal-to-metal contact is gas-tight and no corrosion will occur at the interface.

When two things touch, only a very tiny area of material makes contact - the rest of the surface is separated by a thin film of air / grease / tarnish. An electrical connection needs a minimum cross-section of copper-to-copper contact to carry the current, just like a cable needs a minimum cross section. When you clamp a terminal tightly, it squeezes out air and moisture and dirt as the metal cold-flows into position. Only once that has happened is the contact area large enough to carry the current involved here.

Oh - I had no idea about that at all. Thank you very much for your help.

You have also, I think, not recognised that the terminal type requires a fork termination to be made, whereby the strands of each live conductors are separated to form two similar prongs, which are then inserted left and right of the nut and bolt, thereby maximising the amount of surface area in electrical contact. You have simply inserted to one side of the nut and bolt.

Last edited:
It needs to be a good connection because at 30Amps around 200 million million million electrons are passing (actually drifting) through it every second.

You have also, I think, not recognised that the terminal type requires a fork termination to be made, whereby the strands of each live conductors are separated to form two similar prongs, which are then inserted left and right of the nut and bolt, thereby maximising the amount of surface area in electrical contact. You have simply inserted to one side of the nut and bolt.

These terminals typically have a plastic shroud with one access hole per terminal for the conductor. They're not very good. You just have to do them up as tight as you dare without stripping the thread.

Reply to Oven cable melted cable and casing - can't work out why in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock