Discuss Oven Element Quick Question in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Neighbour having an issue with oven. Will work fine for so long and then it trips off the RCD. RCD resets but oven will not work after that for a day or two. Neighbour seems to think it's been since her husband cleaned the oven.

I suggested changing the element but would be a bit of a gamble since it would be tricky to test the current element with it having intermittent issues. New element is £47 as can only get an original part, so wanted to check on here before making her part with that sort of money.

Does it sound like the element to you?

You'll find a compatible element on eBay for about £15.
If it has been enthusiasticly cleaned with copious amounts of water, its possible any component could be damaged though. Its unlikely cleaning would damage the element, but a failing element could produce this fault.

Neighbour having an issue with oven. Will work fine for so long and then it trips off the RCD. RCD resets but oven will not work after that for a day or two. Neighbour seems to think it's been since her husband cleaned the oven.

I suggested changing the element but would be a bit of a gamble since it would be tricky to test the current element with it having intermittent issues. New element is £47 as can only get an original part, so wanted to check on here before making her part with that sort of money.

Does it sound like the element to you?

I would test the element ( like an immersion heater), to see if it's ok. There could be a problem with the switched side e.g. Oven thermostat !

I would test the element ( like an immersion heater), to see if it's ok. There could be a problem with the switched side e.g. Oven thermostat !

I hear you, but it's an intermittent fault, and one that only appears when the oven is hot. I can't test a hot element and a cold element will likely test okay.

@andy - I've been on to a good few suppliers and they only stock manufacturer elements for this model. Not too keen on buying off ebay....

I hear you, but it's an intermittent fault, and one that only appears when the oven is hot. I can't test a hot element and a cold element will likely test okay.

@andy - I've been on to a good few suppliers and they only stock manufacturer elements for this model. Not too keen on buying off ebay....

Can you not link out stat and bring it up to temp to try element, or if it's a dual oven with two stats rated same, swap wiring to try element off another stat. That would rule out stat anyway

with back off oven and any kids/pets locked away. heat up oven till hot. then swiftly isolate, diss element connections and IR @ 1000V. however, i'd suspect damp.

I would generally expect it to be the element insulation starting to break down on heating and expansion causing the short to earth.
I would second Tel's hot testing advice. With due safety considerations.
I spent about two hours taking an oven apart that "always trips when switched on" and found nothing wrong and then got told "oh yes I checked with my wife and it only does it when hot":mad: and found very low IR on the elements when they were hot.

If it is due to vigorous cleaning (never had this problem on my oven!) then it could also be water collecting in the oven light cover and when steam condenses on the terminals it may be enough to cause an RCD to trip.

Hi dude,if oven trips the RCD,then goes O/C when reset,without tripping the RCD again...it will probably be the element.
It is the most likely component to do this.
Heating elements are capable of giving all three common fails,in a variety of sequences and intervals.

As mentioned,testing it,without having it in the state it will be every time it is on,that is,hot,may prove fruitless.

Thanks guys, after some advice then. This is the genuine element for the oven:

http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es...?pageNumber=1&PartTypeId=1595&ModelId=1588332

Now as per @Andy78's advice I'm trying to find an eBay replacement but this is the closest I can find:

AEG Fan Oven Cooker Element B4115-5-MUK, B8871-5-M, BE2003000M | eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEG-Fan-Oven-Cooker-Element-B4115-5-MUK-B8871-5-M-BE2003000M-/271403586965?hash=item3f30ea1595:g:NPgAAOxy0bRTANQP

How likely is it this eBay element will be the right size even though it's not for the exact model?

looks to be identical. give it a try. don't forget that a lot of ovens have 2 elements.

Have you tried partmaster? I've used them before for pattern parts.

Yep, only have the grill element in. I've tried literally everywhere I know of. There's a shop up the road called 4YourHome and if they don't have it nobody will. I'm having an ongoing convo with the eBay seller to see if there's anything more suitable but looks like it may be a case of biting the bullet and getting the £50 original part.

For those interested, here's some photos showing the original element and the spare I was sent.

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

sounds like a result. the one that won't fit can be profitably used. home brew whiskey.

Reply to Oven Element Quick Question in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net