Discuss Overhead garage supply question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently considering the best way to go about this job for a customer who wants garage power wiring from an overhead supply cable (to replace the current 1.5mm T&E swinging in the wind supply!).

The cable will go from his under-stairs board, up through the landing to the loft, through the loft and out from above the first floor down to the garage. The distance between the house and garage is around 5 meters and over his private back garden. The height of the cable at its lowest point will be around 3 meters.

I am leaning towards running this type of cable: 4mm² 3 Core HO7RNF Rubber Flexible Cable (Cut Length Sold By The Mtr) | City Electrical Factors - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/75559-4-0mm-3-core-ho7rnf-cable-cut-length-sold-by-the-mtr

It's heavy duty rubber (neoprene) flex which is designed to withstand UV light, oils and greases and mechanical and thermal stresses.

I'll support this cable with cable ties along a Catenery wire to take the weight of the cable and hold it securely at each end.

What do you guys think of this idea? Would this pass an NICIEC/STROMA/NAPIT assessment?

Any input appreciated,

Thanks

Hi mate,
Just a couple of questions.
Where did you get the minimum height of 3 meters from?
Why 4mm? What breaker/rcbo size is this wired to?

Hi - heightwise the OSG Table D2 has min hts of 3m if solid unjointed steel conduit used for spans 3m or less, otherwise it's 3.5m. If there is vehicle access 5.8m is listed. Same table mentions pvc, hofr and bare conductor cables. I think your one is better than pvc :)

Edit - sorry MW you already mentioned.

Hi - heightwise the OSG Table D2 has min hts of 3m if solid unjointed steel conduit used for spans 3m or less, otherwise it's 3.5m. If there is vehicle access 5.8m is listed. Same table mentions pvc, hofr and bare conductor cables. I think your one is better than pvc :).

That is why I was asking the OP where he got 3 meters from. He is not using steel conduit.

I don't think the op is necessarily saying it's a 3m minimum height in the regs, he seems to be just describing the length and height of what the finished job will be.
Daz.

The height of the cable at its lowest point will be around 3 meters.

With the OP saying 'will be' I took it that he is talking about his job. If he was talking about the present install I would have expected 'is'

Yes, that's what I mean - he's saying when he's finished it then it will be 3M high, due to where the cable is coming out of the house at. I don't think he's saying that it HAS to be a minimum of 3M due to a regulation though is he?.

Not much point in discussing what the OP is on about unless he replies.

Cheers for replies,

I'm using 4mm from a 32A breaker to a little 2 way garage board. I'll use metal/uv tie wraps

The 3M is the lowest point the cable will be as it enters through the brick of the garage.

I read somewhere that 3.5M minimum height is a recommended but not compulsory height. The entry point is above a place where literally no one would walk - skirting around the edge of the garage foundations. In practical terms the back garden drops down below that and is lower than 3.5M from the cable.

I'm using this for my STROMA assessment but I'm unsure as to how hey will weigh up installations that are safe and practical but may go into blurry territory re. the regs. I mean would they tell me to change it? There's no realistic way of having the cable come into the garage any higher and going underground would be massively disruptive and expensive for the client.

Hi - as the OSG has recommended min hts and (if I understand correctly) you are not quite using those I think it's a coin flip on whether you get pinged for it on an Assessment. Perhaps the aerial cable route was pre existing?
Edit : I don't see Assessor instructing you to change it, but they may not accept it as the evidence they need to see from you.

I would email Stroma and ask, no point waiting for the day of your assessment.

Last edited:

Reply to Overhead garage supply question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock