Discuss Overhead property supply clearance requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Your local PoCo and AHJ will give guidance on this matter.

If the AHJ inspector “red tags” the install you’re in for a rough ride.

This side of the pond we would refer to it as an improvement order. I’ve only seen one instance of an improvement order being issued, it wasn’t pleasant.

Remember, BS7671 is a code of practice, NFPA-NEC is statute law.

Your local PoCo and AHJ will give guidance on this matter.

If the AHJ inspector “red tags” the install you’re in for a rough ride.

This side of the pond we would refer to it as an improvement order. I’ve only seen one instance of an improvement order being issued, it wasn’t pleasant.

Remember, BS7671 is a code of practice, NFPA-NEC is statute law.
Carl that is so right in the USA, I just found out yesterday that an electrical company had done a job and still didn’t get the problem fixed so they called me and I found the problem in 15 minutes and it was an earthing problem. It burnt up there TV, refrigerator, microwave etc. they didn’t even draw a permit and changed a panel that wasn’t the problem and charged them $ 1100.00. I told the customer to call code enforcement and turn them in. Got a call from the customer yesterday and told me they found him guilty, fined him $ 1000 and suspended their license for 1 year. In America they don’t play if you don’t follow their guidelines and rules.

For those who don’t know, AHJ = Authority Having Jurisdiction = building control with teeth. Something we should have on this side of the pond. A red tag means the installation can’t be made live.

Steady on lads. :)
[automerge]1568121012[/automerge]
Carl that is so right in the USA, I just found out yesterday that an electrical company had done a job and still didn’t get the problem fixed so they called me and I found the problem in 15 minutes and it was an earthing problem. It burnt up there TV, refrigerator, microwave etc. they didn’t even draw a permit and changed a panel that wasn’t the problem and charged them $ 1100.00. I told the customer to call code enforcement and turn them in. Got a call from the customer yesterday and told me they found him guilty, fined him $ 1000 and suspended their license for 1 year. In America they don’t play if you don’t follow their guidelines and rules.
Did they get their money back too or not?

Last edited:

Dan no they didn’t get their Money back because the lady of the house canceled the check before they had a chance to cash it. I kind of felt bad about that company loosing their license for a year but follow the guidelines set by the NEC and NFPA and you will stay out of trouble.

Driverman I was try to tell you 8 foot clearance but be like y’all and do it in meters and I can tell you I must have layed out of school that day because I don’t know the metric system and I don’t know y’alls clearances hell if I could go a day without Dave getting mad at me I wouldn’t know what to do anyway the clearances in the USA 8 feet
we all think in feet and inches but have to work in metres/millimeters, (except the under 30's who don't know any better). it's better for you as everyone there uses feet and inches.

we all think in feet and inches but have to work in metres/millimeters, (except the under 30's who don't know any better). it's better for you as everyone there uses feet and inches.
Telectrix I know that there is 25.4 mm to 1 inch and that’s it. I’m 61 so it’s to late for me to get into metrics

y'all over there stand up for your beliefs. over here, EU says "jump" and our pathetic clowns of a government say "how high?".that's why we voted for brexit. sooner we get out the better. let them get on with their frogs legs and worst. long live the Confederacy. ( oops.hope Carolina wasn't a yankee state. :):):)
[automerge]1568135610[/automerge]
Telectrix I know that there is 25.4 mm to 1 inch and that’s it. I’m 61 so it’s to late for me to get into metrics
me too. just can't visualise --- mm. have to use a dual standard tape measure. we have a buiding reg. forheight of sockets and switches ( for new builds), 450mm to 1200 mm from floor. to my mind that's 18" to 42".if no tape measure handy, then it's knees to ----. that's for a standard, non-metric electrician @ 5' 8".a tall guy would be inaccurate.

Last edited:
y'all over there stand up for your beliefs. over here, EU says "jump" and our pathetic clowns of a government say "how high?".that's why we voted for brexit. sooner we get out the better. let them get on with their frogs legs and worst. long live the Confederacy. ( oops.hope Carolina wasn't a yankee state. :):):)

me too. just can't visualise --- mm. have to use a dual standard tape measure. we have a buiding reg. forheight of sockets and switches ( for new builds), 450mm to 1200 mm from floor. to my mind that's 18" to 42".if no tape measure handy, then it's knees to ----. that's for a standard, non-metric electrician @ 5' 8".a tall guy would be inaccurate.
Hell telectrix pack up and come on over here but we are no where even perfect we have our problems but in the UK y’all don’t stand a chance all the power company’s then the meter company who you pay your bill to when y’all go out it appears to me that they paperwork y’all till you feel like throwing up. I do like our situation I draw a permit go put the job in call in for a final inspection he comes stays maybe 2 hours checking then puts a sticker on the cover off the meter he even calls the power company and I’m done
[automerge]1568138242[/automerge]

I get so lost when y’all speak in mm wire size I don’t have a clue what y’all are talking about

I'm looking forward to the UK going back to pounds, shillings and pence ! (20 shillings to the pound and 12 pence to the shilling... for those that didn't know). We'll need to arrange counselling for all the youngsters ! Some can barely cope with the decimal system !

I'm even more confused now.

I retired early due to ill health. I had to find something to do, other countries wiring methods interested me.

I can state quite categorically that BS7671 comes 2nd in the male bovine excrement race!

I retired early due to ill health. I had to find something to do, other countries wiring methods interested me.

I can state quite categorically that BS7671 comes 2nd in the male bovine excrement race!
Carl I also are in the same situation as you are and that’s why I joined this forum. I love it and it helps to keep my mind sharp, and please don’t let some of the reply’s bother you but beware they will test you. LOL welcome to the forum

Carl if you don’t mind what’s wrong with your health ?

Reply to Overhead property supply clearance requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock