CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Overhead property supply clearance requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, we have a single phase overhead supply to our property, and are constructing a garage with a corner near the center of the ~15m span. What is the minimum separation to the structure? Is it possible to secure the cable at the midway point on the new structure?

Thanks!

ashrow

-
Arms
The best thing you should do is contact the company that maintains the over head cables
If they are bare conductors they may need to provide an insulation/cover to these prior to you commencing the works (this should be free)

The cable is fully insulated if that helps...
Depending on the age of the supply it could be paper insulated with red lead jute binding or hard drawn VIR, both by now will be knackered and dangerous. I wouldn’t touch ether with a barge pole.

Get in touch with your DNO.

snowhead

-
Mentor
Does this cable only supply your property or does it go on to supply another one?

You need to speak to the D.N.O / cable owner, they will assess whether they need to fit extra protection or even divert the cable before work starts.
And then to advise what further work is required.

I would speak to them immediately as I wouldn't be surprised if they have the legal right to stop you working adjacent to it.

Re DNO requirements: When workmen on a roof, they must not be able to touch the O/H cables. I think the guide line is, plus 1 meter further than average persons out stretched arm.
There are other issues also. DNO guy will discuss with you. Are the existing O/H cables old ?
If so DNO may alter / replace FOC
Do they feed other properties ie neighbour?
Would it be possible to go underground? You dig reinstate trench, DNO do the electrical connections, to keep any costs down.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Re DNO requirements: When workmen on a roof, they must not be able to touch the O/H cables. I think the guide line is, plus 1 meter further than average persons out stretched arm.
There are other issues also. DNO guy will discuss with you. Are the existing O/H cables old ?
If so DNO may alter / replace FOC
Do they feed other properties ie neighbour?
Would it be possible to go underground? You dig reinstate trench, DNO do the electrical connections, to keep any costs down.
Driver man the guideline is 28 meters

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Overhead property supply clearance requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom