Discuss Overhead property supply clearance requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cloudy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, we have a single phase overhead supply to our property, and are constructing a garage with a corner near the center of the ~15m span. What is the minimum separation to the structure? Is it possible to secure the cable at the midway point on the new structure?

Thanks!

The cable is fully insulated if that helps...

Depending on the age of the supply it could be paper insulated with red lead jute binding or hard drawn VIR, both by now will be knackered and dangerous. I wouldn’t touch ether with a barge pole.

Get in touch with your DNO.

Does this cable only supply your property or does it go on to supply another one?

You need to speak to the D.N.O / cable owner, they will assess whether they need to fit extra protection or even divert the cable before work starts.
And then to advise what further work is required.

I would speak to them immediately as I wouldn't be surprised if they have the legal right to stop you working adjacent to it.

Re DNO requirements: When workmen on a roof, they must not be able to touch the O/H cables. I think the guide line is, plus 1 meter further than average persons out stretched arm.
There are other issues also. DNO guy will discuss with you. Are the existing O/H cables old ?
If so DNO may alter / replace FOC
Do they feed other properties ie neighbour?
Would it be possible to go underground? You dig reinstate trench, DNO do the electrical connections, to keep any costs down.

Re DNO requirements: When workmen on a roof, they must not be able to touch the O/H cables. I think the guide line is, plus 1 meter further than average persons out stretched arm.
There are other issues also. DNO guy will discuss with you. Are the existing O/H cables old ?
If so DNO may alter / replace FOC
Do they feed other properties ie neighbour?
Would it be possible to go underground? You dig reinstate trench, DNO do the electrical connections, to keep any costs down.
Driver man the guideline is 28 meters

Driverman I was try to tell you 8 foot clearance but be like y’all and do it in meters and I can tell you I must have layed out of school that day because I don’t know the metric system and I don’t know y’alls clearances hell if I could go a day without Dave getting mad at me I wouldn’t know what to do anyway the clearances in the USA 8 feet

Driverman I was try to tell you 8 foot clearance but be like y’all and do it in meters and I can tell you I must have layed out of school that day because I don’t know the metric system and I don’t know y’alls clearances hell if I could go a day without Dave getting mad at me I wouldn’t know what to do anyway the clearances in the USA 8 feet
Hey, no worries

Reply to Overhead property supply clearance requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock