Discuss PAT testing scope for a salon with a rented room in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
All, I’m hoping to pick up a PAT testing job for a salon. Quite happy with the main part of it for the owner, but this salon rents a room to another beautician who has their own appliances. The person in the rented room is not an employee of the owner.

Q ~ Should the rented room fall under the main salon as it’s all part of the same premises, or do I treat it as a separate private entity which will need to have it’s own PAT testing done?

Also, does anyone have any insight on how an insurance company might view this type of setup for the owner if, say, a faulty appliance in the rented room causes the whole salon to burn down !?

Thanks in anticipation

copy and pasted
PAT testing law requires that all landlords, employers and even self-employed individuals make sure that their portable electrical appliances are safe and are suitable and used for the purposes intended. These appliances should always be maintained properly and remain in good working order.

got that from pat .org .uk

The owner of the appliances is responsible for ensuring they are kept in safe condition.

copy and pasted
PAT testing law requires that all landlords, employers and even self-employed individuals make sure that their portable electrical appliances are safe and are suitable and used for the purposes intended. These appliances should always be maintained properly and remain in good working order.

got that from pat .org .uk
Cheers ashrow, I think this is what I’m trying to get my head around here. The salon owner or employer aren’t supplying the appliances in the rented room, it’s the self-employed person.

So, on that basis I believe they and their equipment are excluded from the work I’ve been asked to do by the salon owner

The owner of the appliances is responsible for ensuring they are kept in safe condition.
Thanks DPG, I think this along with ashrow's feedback has helped me to get my head around it. i.e. The salon owner or employer don't own the appliances in the rented room, so on that basis I believe the rented room and their equipment are excluded from the work I’ve been asked to do by the salon owner
Source URL: PAT testing scope for a salon with a rented room - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/pat-testing-scope-for-a-salon-with-a-rented-room.179223/#post-1579148

All, I’m hoping to pick up a PAT testing job for a salon. Quite happy with the main part of it for the owner, but this salon rents a room to another beautician who has their own appliances. The person in the rented room is not an employee of the owner.

Q ~ Should the rented room fall under the main salon as it’s all part of the same premises, or do I treat it as a separate private entity which will need to have it’s own PAT testing done?
What have you been asked to do? Surely it's for them to instruct you what they want inspected and tested. They are the duty holder.

Also, does anyone have any insight on how an insurance company might view this type of setup for the owner if, say, a faulty appliance in the rented room causes the whole salon to burn down !?

Thanks in anticipation
Don't think the Salon's insurers would be paying much out if the beauticians gear went up in flames due to bad maintenance, does the Salon have a H&S Policy? worth checking.
[automerge]1570129365[/automerge]
Don't think the Salon's insurers would be paying much out if the beauticians gear went up in flames due to bad maintenance, does the Salon have a H&S Policy? worth checking. Only asking because it may state in the Policy that ALL electrical equipment. both personal and private must be in good order, it's the Duty Holder's responsibility to ensure the equipment has been tested and is in good working order.

the beautician should have there own liability insurance that would pay out if there was an issue with there equipment.
however for the cost of it, if I was the salon owner and I was having all my equipment tested, I would be likely to test the beuticians equip as well for peace of mind.
£10 to £20 for the extra bits, its a no brainer??
talk to the salon owner and suggest you do both and they can split the costs however they want to.

In a commercial premises as soon as an appliance is plugged into a socket the owner, manager or whoever are responsible for them no matter who owns them.

the beautician should have there own liability insurance that would pay out if there was an issue with there equipment.
however for the cost of it, if I was the salon owner and I was having all my equipment tested, I would be likely to test the beuticians equip as well for peace of mind.
£10 to £20 for the extra bits, its a no brainer??
talk to the salon owner and suggest you do both and they can split the costs however they want to.

Hmmm, that sounds a very pragmatic approach and I'm sure they will go for it. Thankyou

most of my gear is pat tested about 4 times a year, when I am working somewhere and the pat testing team are doing there thing, I look the other way for a moment and bang, a new sticker has appeared on my plug!!
its an extra £1 in their pocket, test everything is normally the instruction given to the pat testers.

PAT testing law requires...

There is no such thing as "PAT testing law".

The applicable statutory documents are:
The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (HASAWA)
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
The Electricity at Work Regulations (EWR) 1989
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER)

ISITEE (colloquially referred to as PAT) is a means to demonstrate compliance with the provisions of the applicable statutory documents.

Best thing to do is ask what they want tested and that is it. Avoid offering too much advice on the ins and outs of what should and shouldn't be done. This needs to be put in a contract between you and the client.

@ashrow, I've just had a look at that website you mentioned in #2.
Some of the content is comedy gold, such as...

"PAT testing forms are provided only by approved contractors who are registered with the NICEIC/ECA. Persons performing testing who are permitted to offer PAT testing certificates have to be deemed competent to perform these tests."

"Certificates are normally very thorough and will include details about the test showing which portable appliances have been tested and which if any have passed or failed."

contradicted two paragraphs on by:
"PAT testing certificates will not show specific details of each individual appliance that has been tested.

:rolleyes:

@ashrow, I've just had a look at that website you mentioned in #2.
Some of the content is comedy gold, such as...

"PAT testing forms are provided only by approved contractors who are registered with the NICEIC/ECA. Persons performing testing who are permitted to offer PAT testing certificates have to be deemed competent to perform these tests."

"Certificates are normally very thorough and will include details about the test showing which portable appliances have been tested and which if any have passed or failed."

contradicted two paragraphs on by:
"PAT testing certificates will not show specific details of each individual appliance that has been tested.

:rolleyes:
I have to agree it is comedy gold !
I find that PAT testing is open to so much "lets cover our butts"

I used to test boarding houses at a local private school where many of the students appliances were from over seas, after failing a few with regard to single insulated flex and no fused plug tops etc i got complaints by the owners parents that by cutting of and replacing flex or even plug tops invalidated warranty (it was just a waste of time and the school just had to show compliance)
I even got into trouble for cutting the gardeners extension lead 3 pin plug and socket off which he had made up of the 2 core flex from an old flymo !

I have to agree it is comedy gold !
I find that PAT testing is open to so much "lets cover our butts"

I used to test boarding houses at a local private school where many of the students appliances were from over seas, after failing a few with regard to single insulated flex and no fused plug tops etc i got complaints by the owners parents that by cutting of and replacing flex or even plug tops invalidated warranty (it was just a waste of time and the school just had to show compliance)
I even got into trouble for cutting the gardeners extension lead 3 pin plug and socket off which he had made up of the 2 core flex from an old flymo !

Did you have the owners permission to cut plugs off or otherwise modify the appliances?
If not then of course you got in to trouble, and rightly so.

Reply to PAT testing scope for a salon with a rented room in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net