Discuss Periodic Inspection with new electrical work. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paleosparky13

I need to do a periodic inspection cert. On a domestic prem.
Unfortunately I'm not gonnna be able to complete the cert from the inside the pub on this ocassion, and sadly will have to dust off the old Fluke. Problem being I want to keep the sampling low using previous certificate to 50% max only 4 circuits so say lighting and small power. Added problem the client has just moved in and the previous home owner has done load of lighting and small power alterations without producing a new minor or adjusted periodic cert. She doesnt know whats been changed but suddenly the building has new leds everywhere. What's the process without having to start digging out tons of me 2394&5 school books do the periodic or issue minor works for deviations as I find them and then do a full periodic. ?

Any input will be much appreciated.

Im confused? Do you mean you dont know how to do a full eicr so were just wanting to put your name to it using old test readings? You mention having to read through old books?

Conduct an EICR as if it was just that, note and code any problems, present it to your client, get paid, and wait for the phone call to quote for any deviations/problems that your EICR throws up, after all that's what an EICR is for, i,e, highlighting problems, that's the whole idea of an EICR.

its your name on the paperwork at the end of the day and having recently done a eicr on my dads pub and spent several years working on refurbs of old pubs for a large brewery. boy was one needed. there were random cables all over the place some left hanging in voids still live. old circuits and all sorts of issues. i stayed the night fed and kept by my dad for free and spent nearly 2 days doing a very thorough eicr.
the metal lights in the main part of pub were in need of earths running to them. some sockets had missing earths and the handdryer in the ladies was hanging off the wall with exposed conductors in the cracked fcu next to it..
upstairs there were broken rings and spurs off of spurs... then found a 8.5kw shower on two bits of 2.5mm used together as one cable.
so think long and hard before putting your name on that certificate. especially if its open to the public downstairs as if the sockets are not upto the job and say have no cpc or rcd and a metal faceplate.. then all it takes is somebody to plug there phone in one day and get a shock or something and its you they will come to..
Thankfully in my dads case the brewery were grateful for the eicr and shocked at how poor it was and were more than happy to pay for all the works as he was in the process of signing for the tenancy.
He helped me over a couple of days to put it all right and ensure its compliant. I am now on good terms with the pub manager for the brewery in this area and sitting good for future works.

Im confused? Do you mean you dont know how to do a full eicr so were just wanting to put your name to it using old test readings? You mention having to read through old books?

I wish i didnt know how to do an eicr...its a ballache and i avoid them like plaque. I don't want to test every single circuit in the premises, but use a sample. Of say 50%. But with added works it's unlikely that I'd get away with that. As the sample has to expand as you encounter deviations from the previous cert. It's probably going to have to be a 100%.

I need to do a periodic inspection cert. On a domestic prem.

...Problem being I want to keep the sampling low using previous certificate to 50% max only 4 circuits so say lighting and small power.

I don't want to test every single circuit in the premises, but use a sample. Of say 50%. But with added works it's unlikely that I'd get away with that.

Why would you even consider testing less than 100% of the circuits on domestic premises? It's not like there's likely to be any planned maintenance or regular recorded inspections.

Why would you even consider testing less than 100% of the circuits on domestic premises? It's not like there's likely to be any planned maintenance or regular recorded inspections.
Indeed. Sampling of circuits really isn't aimed at an installation with four basic circuits in it like we have been told.

If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it. Explain that you don’t then you can stay in the pub.
Don’t do less than 100%, unless it’s 0%
with a 4% in your glass.
I think I know what I mean.

Reply to Periodic Inspection with new electrical work. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net