Search the forum,

Discuss Perusing a career in Electrics in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you want to be an electrician,then go for it and all the best,it will be hard graft, if you are serious with your effort you will get the reward of a brilliant way to earn a living,working with the tools of a subject that can be enjoyed as well as being just the crust earner

Mind you, the spark working for your dad may not be too inclined to train his own successor

If you want to be an electrician,then go for it and all the best,it will be hard graft, if you are serious with your effort you will get the reward of a brilliant way to earn a living,working with the tools of a subject that can be enjoyed as well as being just the crust earner

Mind you, the spark working for your dad may not be too inclined to train his own successor

My Dad and his brother do work for GAP all over the country and they only use the electrician for those jobs. Otherwise, he has his own small business working locally.

I am certainly concentrating on my maths more anyway, as I should have my English Level 2 in a month or so.

A few lads that I know had to get theirs maths or English up too, and they were advised not to retake GCSE's as they're a waste of time, rather more, do the 10-12 week Level 2 courses as they're far quicker.

Dont bother trying to become electrician market is flooded with polish and eastern european cowboys get a job in tesco you will be paid the same or try and leave the country

Good luck to you mate for wanting to do a proper apprenticeship. You will be a better sparks for it. Hope it all works out, you seem really driven

Basically, the trade is full of every tom, dick & harry. You get the proper qualifications and understanding of the trade backed up with experience you can make a bob or 2 putting other peoples work right.

With an apprentiship these days you do a thing called key skills!! Maths, English etc so grades are not everything. I had crap grades and still got an apprentiship but did key skills also. Just enquire with your local college

it's the truth though mate to many foreign workers here working for peanuts until we leave europe it wont get better good luck though

it's the truth though mate to many foreign workers here working for peanuts until we leave europe it wont get better good luck though

Thanks.

At this current moment in time, I'm out of work due to being laid off from my job of just over 2 years in retail which I friggin' hate with passion.

Therefore, I am now on JSA and although I know it's okay as I have reason to be claiming due to being laid off, but I feel like a useless so and so and boredom is slowly becoming a problem.

I am definitely set on training to be an electrician as in time when I become qualified, I will be working in the family business.

Another question;

What are some good routes to take considering I'm now on JSA?

I have been looking around and come across NCS. I requested their Electrician Information Pack and received it today through the post and it sounds pretty good and most of the reviews seem somewhat decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go do a one day a week proper course at college and get a job as a electricians mate now your signed on the learning support fund will pay 75% or more towards your course cost get your wiring regs done too now your signed on 17th edition (BS7671) and CSCS or ECS card if you can as a electrical labourer.

The books are expensive be warned but you can get help from college with funds

Now your puuting the biro on the giro is a perfect time to enrol for september do not what so ever get on one of these courses that promise the earth for thousands of £££££££££ not worth it mate normal college will be far better let these words sink in slow and steady it will take years to get fully qualified not 6 months.

you can do 16hrs a week at college and still get JSA while your looking for work you can't do anymore you will lose benefit entitelement.

And regarding maths and english you do a exam to get into college to see where your at and they can help you with these subjects if they need improving. Your maths needs to be good as there is alot of it in the theory so maybe a eveing course at college or a tutor for a couple of hours a week not as expensive as you might think or re sit your maths gcse ?

I hope this helps you.

ps : get a college prospectus ASAP go talk to some tutors and get your foot in the door for september.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Perusing a career in Electrics in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net