Discuss Electrical level 1 or 2? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just joined this forum as read a few of the threads and hoping for some help.
I've recently enquired about doing an electrical course, however due to work I can only doing evening courses
I'm in the Halifax area, Calderdale only start on level 2, however Bradford and Leeds start on level 1. Would you recommend doing the level 1 before doing level 2?

I'm currently working as an Assembler in an engineering department, I do some basic electrics within the role but want to learn more.

My first thought is going to Calderdale and doing the level 2 as I'm told the level 1 is very basic? However, I've been told that there is an assessment to get into the level 2 which I'm worried that as I've not done level 1 I won't be able to pass? Calderdale is also my nearest college

Would really appreciate your help and opinions

Just joined this forum as read a few of the threads and hoping for some help.
I've recently enquired about doing an electrical course, however due to work I can only doing evening courses
I'm in the Halifax area, Calderdale only start on level 2, however Bradford and Leeds start on level 1. Would you recommend doing the level 1 before doing level 2?

I'm currently working as an Assembler in an engineering department, I do some basic electrics within the role but want to learn more.

My first thought is going to Calderdale and doing the level 2 as I'm told the level 1 is very basic? However, I've been told that there is an assessment to get into the level 2 which I'm worried that as I've not done level 1 I won't be able to pass? Calderdale is also my nearest college

Would really appreciate your help and opinions
Bump... I really would appreciate any help mad advice.....

Hope you're all having a great Bank holiday

Could you have a chat with a tutor(s) there to discuss the course and which might be the best route for you? I did just that, and after being from an electronics background and a network cabling installer background they recommended the level 2 to start with. As for an assessment onto the level 2, it comprised of maths and english/literacy questions. The test was to see what you are able to do at that time/now, as in many of us there had qualifications from many years ago and perhaps would be out of practice.

Could you have a chat with a tutor(s) there to discuss the course and which might be the best route for you? I did just that, and after being from an electronics background and a network cabling installer background they recommended the level 2 to start with. As for an assessment onto the level 2, it comprised of maths and english/literacy questions. The test was to see what you are able to do at that time/now, as in many of us there had qualifications from many years ago and perhaps would be out of practice.
Thank you, for getting back to me Ralpster, much appreciated.
I have spoken to different tutors and they have basically advised if you can get on to the level 2... then do so, but I'm just curious as what's the best thing to do
What was the English and maths questions that had to take? Would you say they were 'hard'?
I'm 28 and although I don't think as myself as 'daft' it's been a long time since I've done any English or Maths.
I'll be honest, although I'm looking forward to starting the course, I'm also quite nervous about it all

Thank you, for getting back to me Ralpster, much appreciated.
I have spoken to different tutors and they have basically advised if you can get on to the level 2... then do so, but I'm just curious as what's the best thing to do
What was the English and maths questions that had to take? Would you say they were 'hard'?
I'm 28 and although I don't think as myself as 'daft' it's been a long time since I've done any English or Maths.
I'll be honest, although I'm looking forward to starting the course, I'm also quite nervous about it all
To be honest I thought the assessment was a fair one, it was 25 mins with 25 questions, about 70% maths questions the rest literacy. The maths part had some straight forward addition, subtraction and division etc Some maths questions were of the logical thinking variety, not difficult but may have to read the question a couple of time to not slip up. Percentages, some fractions, ratios etc Overall not too tricky on the math but the questions may take up more time than you think.

The literacy part was a tad time consuming, lots to read and then make decisions on what the text was about and also correct any grammatical errors, so really a test of being able to read and basic grammar.

Overall a test of basic maths and grammar, so if you are confident on these then you should be fine. I would hazard a guess that it would be Functional Skills Level 2 Maths.

And if advised to get on the level 2 then I would say go for it!

Edit* was also a couple of questions on area, but very basic*

To be honest I thought the assessment was a fair one, it was 25 mins with 25 questions, about 70% maths questions the rest literacy. The maths part had some straight forward addition, subtraction and division etc Some maths questions were of the logical thinking variety, not difficult but may have to read the question a couple of time to not slip up. Percentages, some fractions, ratios etc Overall not too tricky on the math but the questions may take up more time than you think.

The literacy part was a tad time consuming, lots to read and then make decisions on what the text was about and also correct any grammatical errors, so really a test of being able to read and basic grammar.

Overall a test of basic maths and grammar, so if you are confident on these then you should be fine. I would hazard a guess that it would be Functional Skills Level 2 Maths.

Thank you, much appreciated. So it seems pretty straight forward Maths and English then, did you get given a 'score' then? Or was it pretty much a case of they were happy for you to go onto the course?
To be honest with you, there's a chance that I'm just completely overthinking it

I'm going to the level 2 assessment in around 3 weeks

Thank you, much appreciated. So it seems pretty straight forward Maths and English then, did you get given a 'score' then? Or was it pretty much a case of they were happy for you to go onto the course?
To be honest with you, there's a chance that I'm just completely overthinking it

I'm going to the level 2 assessment in around 3 weeks
I had no score, just a offer on the course so presumably my score was good enough. I was not warned of an assessment beforehand so had to take it on the spot. I just looked though all the questions and got stuck into the ones I knew I could complete quickly and confidently, then moved on to the rest, then double checked everything as I had a bit of time left.

I,m really excited about starting in September, I have been refreshing my brain with the basic principles of electrical theory and the calculations as its been 20 years since I studied those and its really got my brain into study mode and reignited my desire to learn.

Don't overthink it, just go for it, I wished I had done this years ago and overthinking it stopped me doing it!

I had no score, just a offer on the course so presumably my score was good enough. I was not warned of an assessment beforehand so had to take it on the spot. I just looked though all the questions and got stuck into the ones I knew I could complete quickly and confidently, then moved on to the rest, then double checked everything as I had a bit of time left.

I,m really excited about starting in September, I have been refreshing my brain with the basic principles of electrical theory and the calculations as its been 20 years since I studied those and its really got my brain into study mode and reignited my desire to learn.

Don't overthink it, just go for it, I wished I had done this years ago and overthinking it stopped me doing it!
How you getting on?

I went straight in at level 2 this month at a local College rather than do a TradeSkills4U fast track. (Had maths & english o levels and science and an HNC in Electronic Engineering)

Beforehand I bought a set of the C&G course paperwork/slides etc off ebay for £5, best £5 I've ever spent. I tested myself on some of the questions sheets and got over 75%, so reconed I'd be OK at level 2.

Downside is that the rest of the class all did level 1, (all youngsters) so they all know each other and they had already done the basics on the practical stuff. I could have winged it when we were set the first wiring task but I got the lecturer to show me exactly what to do from the basics so I would know what they were looking for, starting with stripping cables, clipping it to the boards, cutting out pattress boxes etc. Turns out I learned a few things immediately! (And also found you get shown different ways of doing things depending on who you ask... but thats another thread!)

How you getting on?

I went straight in at level 2 this month at a local College rather than do a TradeSkills4U fast track. (Had maths & english o levels and science and an HNC in Electronic Engineering)

Beforehand I bought a set of the C&G course paperwork/slides etc off ebay for £5, best £5 I've ever spent. I tested myself on some of the questions sheets and got over 75%, so reconed I'd be OK at level 2.

Downside is that the rest of the class all did level 1, (all youngsters) so they all know each other and they had already done the basics on the practical stuff. I could have winged it when we were set the first wiring task but I got the lecturer to show me exactly what to do from the basics so I would know what they were looking for, starting with stripping cables, clipping it to the boards, cutting out pattress boxes etc. Turns out I learned a few things immediately! (And also found you get shown different ways of doing things depending on who you ask... but thats another thread!)
Hey Rich, really enjoying the course, a mixed bunch of people from all walks of life, and adult bunch but a group who want to get on with things. Loving the theory and take time to swat up before the evening session, I prefer to know what I,m in for rather than going in blind, but loving learning and re-learning new stuff.

The practical side is brilliant, glad I have had experience on the tools as that helps too. The college tutors are really good, they have a good understanding of the room and know how to adapt the learning for everyone's needs, I look forward to each session and it seems to fly by. Was always worried about 'adult learning' but its so much easier than when I was younger, guess thats the experience of life and also the desire to succeed coming through.

Super determined to one way or another, make way into the trade, and also be the best I can.

Hopes alls going well with you?

Hey Rich, really enjoying the course, a mixed bunch of people from all walks of life, and adult bunch but a group who want to get on with things. Loving the theory and take time to swat up before the evening session, I prefer to know what I,m in for rather than going in blind, but loving learning and re-learning new stuff.

The practical side is brilliant, glad I have had experience on the tools as that helps too. The college tutors are really good, they have a good understanding of the room and know how to adapt the learning for everyone's needs, I look forward to each session and it seems to fly by. Was always worried about 'adult learning' but its so much easier than when I was younger, guess thats the experience of life and also the desire to succeed coming through.

Super determined to one way or another, make way into the trade, and also be the best I can.

Hopes alls going well with you?
Great to hear its going well!

Mine is going OK, but I'm in with youngsters. So far its all easy and I'm ahead of everyone else on the practical tasks.

Still on the long slog of H&S in the theory lessons, looking forward to the electrical stuff, although having read though all the material, there's not too much I haven't done before...

It's only a day and a half a week so not disruptive and as the college is five mins walk from the beach, lunch breaks are quite nice!

Hi at which Academy / center did you take the course and the examns?

Reply to Electrical level 1 or 2? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock