Discuss Petition: Make working with electricity a criminal offence unless qualified in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alessandro

Hi, I found this petition and thought I should post it here. I googled the forums and couldn't find a similar post.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/122444

I'm not sure how good or bad the situation is in the UK, but I've heard and read enough to be worried. I read in more than one place that this is one of the few countries in Europe where anyone can work with electricity. No licence or qualification is needed. What are the real dimensions of this "problem"?

I am an apprentice electrician and I am studying like I've never studied before in my life. There is a LOT to know and interminable complexities, requirements, standards to meet. I am studying Inspection and Testing now (2365 L3), I've put thousands of hours of study into the science, design etc and I can't possibly imagine how someone who never studied this stuff before can work as an electrician.

I can't understand how anyone could decide to work with electricity just because they know someone who does. I study with people who have been working with electricity for YEARS sometimes, and all they do is cowboy jobs that violate laws, best practices, they work live to make clients happy, they fill in forms with made up numbers ("nobody ever checks", this guy told me once). I've heard enough to feel quite angry, it's like it's all a big joke and if you are concerned about safety or doing things properly, according to best practices, the law, the regs, then you are an idiot. I was discussing safe isolation with a guy who has been doing cowboy jobs for a year (and considers himself competent) and he was laughing at me, "nobody does it, just check with a voltage stick and put tape on it".

Is being electrician in the UK a big joke or something? Please sign the petition if you agree!

Last edited by a moderator:
The electricity at work regs are what are required to be adhered to by law in the uk. However working electricians conform with BS7671 (or should do). This is non statutory but is seen as the minimum standard to work too. If anything did ever go ---- up then BS7671 could and most likely would be referred to in a court of law.

This being said, there will be always be people fighting for the bottom. Doing jobs quicker and promoting bad practices to get jobs done cheaper. Why? Because sometimes people only want to pay the lowest price.

It it would be hard to enforce what you suggest by law and even then people would still break said "law". As much as I'd like to see something happen to regulate the industry more I don't think anyone has come up with the right solution yet. Plus Wholesalers and diy shops won't stop selling electrical items any time soon as they would be doing them out of business.

I suspect there's plenty that's signed who have carried out work on their motor vehicle, or building works in their home .....

Where does it stop ? - can't do a bacon butty unless you are a qualified cook ?

If it wasn't for DIYers and dodgy Sparkies then most of us would be out of a job, Electrocutions in the scope of things is a rare cause of death and at the end of the day, that would be the real pushing force to get any government intervention to crack down but a few points -

How do you crack down, like expressed already, the laws are there to use existing standards in order to prosecute, unfortunately this only ever comes into play after a serious life changing accident or death.

How do you police it, those doing such work do not wave a big flag saying so, those who would notify all there work or are in a scheme which is supposed to monitor their standards are already competent.

IMHO the petition in its current format is pointless and won't see any bench time, what should be petitioned is the pointless PART P and the several Schemes should all be replaced with one system working on a none profit basis a similar setup that the plumbing trade has and is working for them.

Well the initials for Bacon Sandwich are BS so that's a start!!!!

I suspect there's plenty that's signed who have carried out work on their motor vehicle, or building works in their home .....

Where does it stop ? - can't do a bacon butty unless you are a qualified cook ?

And your point is what,
Yes I service my own vehicle so I know it is done and is done properly spent good money with main dealers to maintain vehicle warranties only to find work that has been paid for has not been done or is grossly overpriced because of their massive overheads. Ok having a father who was a mechanic helps so I started learn at 5 years old both my brothers are also proper mechanics not one these vehicle techs who haven't got a clue unless you can plug in a diagnostic computer and then change lots of unneeded parts costing £????'s to effect a repair yes in recent years I have purchased some diagnostic tools and have oscilloscopes and other meters to identify faults probably at times more cost effectively than a box swapping dealer so why shouldn't I fix my vehicle

Which BS regulations would you use for making the butty? Lol 

Never heard of Food poisoning?
Never seen the reports of E-coli deaths related to poor food preparation
Not aware of the thousands of people employed in the food industry without proper training?

I suspect you're more likely to be harmed by food than electricity.

This hasn't been defined at all. What level of 'qualification' do you want? Have you considered how you're supposed to gain experience to work towards being "fully qualified" if you can get locked away for not already being qualified?
How do you define "working with electricity"? Changing a plug? Changing a lightbulb?
Do we not already live in enough of a nanny state as it is?

There are too many holes in this idea so I won't be signing the petition.

Never heard of Food poisoning?
Never seen the reports of E-coli deaths related to poor food preparation
Not aware of the thousands of people employed in the food industry without proper training?

I suspect you're more likely to be harmed by food than electricity.

I don't know really as I work with electricity every day but take a Pack up for lunch made by myself.
fc7ac87d48d1459093683b3a011a34e7.jpg

Last edited:
I think if wholesellers and diy shops werent allowed to sell to general public without showing proof you are a qualified spark/signed up to regulating body/jib card this would be first move to stop people putting themselves and there families at risk.

The OP has a point... Esp after experiencing the licencing system in Australia. Yeah you get DIY'ers but to combat that you get the OTR a regulator that will check every job, even domestic before sign off. Any sign of shoddy workmanship or Do it your Self ******** then... "Hey Bruce here's your 10,000 dollar fine and you got 10 days to rectify the install by a licenced sparky" Ok a licenced spark might have already completed the shoddy install, it was a Friday and the spark wanted to get down the pub, so bodged a few things to get done quicker... The home owner knows about the OTR. The home owner knows that he or a 3rd party should check the install before the OTR sign off on it... In doing so... Deters the DIY'ers and enforces home owners or Non electrical people to be more viligent when choosing their spark.

Last edited:

Reply to Petition: Make working with electricity a criminal offence unless qualified in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net