Discuss PIR out of date? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John of Arq

Hi gents - if a PIR was done on a property, say 2 years ago, and it was deemed unsatisfactory but no remedial work has since been done (tut, tut), would it now be considered out of date and should a new PIR now be carried out prior to remedial work finally going ahead? I should add that I've had no involvement in this property so far, but am likely to be the one putting things right shortly. Cheers :)

I would say it depends on the failures of the original PIR 2 years ago.

If the installation is that old and maybe that bad, then i would say yes, as a lot can happen over 2 years, especially if its rented accommodation.

If its going to be your name on the cert after the remedials are done then i would retest and have a quick glance over to make sure there is nothing nasty.

All IMHO.

Thanks for that jasons6930 - I'm hoping to have a look at the PIR later. As far as I know, the landlord requires a satisfactory PIR to show to the local council, as per usual.

Pending the results of the PIR, what I'm thinking of doing is going there, effectively doing a complete new PIR , but not immediately filling in the official PIR paperwork; carrying out whatever remedial work is required and completing an EIC as necessary; finally filling in the PIR as satisfactory by combining all test results and observations. Does this sound like good practice?

Definately requires another inspection would be mad to start correcting probs from 2 years ago without testing. If the customer hasn't been bothered to do anything in 2 years what else is he hiding. (his mate maybe had a little fiddle?)

Thanks - good point about the 17th edition as the codes have changed slightly...... does doing things as I described make the best sense? (i.e. test & inspect, record results, do the work necessary and issue one EIC and one PIR at the end).

Hey John.

I would suggest that you do a new PIR first of all to establish exactly what needs doing to bring the installation in line with 17th ed.

Then after all works are completed you can (depending on the amount of work involved) issue a new EIC or MW. If a new DB is required then an EIC is a must.

Cheers.

yes, sounds good - a new PIR and then take it from there. The landlord can then present the PIR with attached EIC stating that non-compliances have been fixed. Thanks for your help :)

Hi gents - if a PIR was done on a property, say 2 years ago, and it was deemed unsatisfactory but no remedial work has since been done (tut, tut), would it now be considered out of date and should a new PIR now be carried out prior to remedial work finally going ahead? I should add that I've had no involvement in this property so far, but am likely to be the one putting things right shortly. Cheers :)

Thing is with any PIR you can highlight problems with the installation but in the end it is down to the owner wether they have the remidial work carried out.

Reply to PIR out of date? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock