Discuss Plastic Consumer Unit in a caravan in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I know the regs say a metal consumer unit must be installed in all new installations, but does anyone know if the same is true of caravans/campervans etc ?

I'm installing electrics into a caravan, so it's a new installation, but it falls under section 7, and it's not clear whether or not a metal consumer unit must be installed, or if a correctly IP rated plastic consumer unit would be ok.

Anyone know ?

Metal consumer units are not required in all installations, they are specified along with alternatives for domestic (household) premises. You must decide if a caravan falls under this banner.

Thanks. The regs are reasonably clear for domestic installs etc, but when it comes to caravans etc, it's really vague. I suppose in most cases it's a DIY job as it usually only involves 12V, but in this case the client has requested 230V so it falls under my jurisdiction so to speak as it requires sign off for insurance etc.

Hi,
I know the regs say a metal consumer unit must be installed in all new installations, but does anyone know if the same is true of caravans/campervans etc ?

I'm installing electrics into a caravan, so it's a new installation, but it falls under section 7, and it's not clear whether or not a metal consumer unit must be installed, or if a correctly IP rated plastic consumer unit would be ok.

Anyone know ?
I've never seen a metal cu in a caravan, they are always plastic.

Edit : Just did a search for one

I've never seen a metal cu in a caravan, they are always plastic.

Edit : Just did a search for one

We stopped in a static the other week and it had a metal CU. Maybe they've started switching over to metal now.

We stopped in a static the other week and it had a metal CU. Maybe they've started switching over to metal now.

Just did a search for metal consumer unit for caravan and all I could see were plastic.

Don't know if a metal one would be an issue, having to be TT earth.

Statics are tourers are different beasts.

Statics are wired like a domestic house… 6242y, white plastic accessories etc

Tourers are wired in flex… for vibration while travelling… the CU in mine has the 12v fuses and the charger, and a bunch of buttons all in one - metal- housing….. but I’ve seen plenty plastic separate units.

They are just normal consumer units in static vans aren't they? No special caravan version.
Last time i did any work on a static caravan site, they all had 16amp feeds via rcd/mcb outside each one.
That was many years ago though but in saying that they are still tin cans.

Statics are tourers are different beasts.

Statics are wired like a domestic house… 6242y, white plastic accessories etc

Tourers are wired in flex… for vibration while travelling… the CU in mine has the 12v fuses and the charger, and a bunch of buttons all in one - metal- housing….. but I’ve seen plenty plastic separate units.

The situation with static caravans is slightly confused, because many permanent ones have brick walls underneath and no wheels, so they are probably classed as temporary buildings for rating purposes. However, if the caravan has metal outer walls, it is wise to make the supply TT as though it is a mobile caravan. The earthing is then safe from any PME difficulties and not really different to many rural properties. The caravan CU needs 30 mA RCD protection for all circuits (which may be a single device or a number of RCBOs, your choice), as well as at the supply as you have stated, and the caravan needs an earth electrode which is not connected to the incoming supply earth at all (the break being at the supply end of any cable so that accidental connection is very unlikely), and has a suitably low earth resistance, preferably 100 Ohms or less. The caravan walls etc should be bonded to the CU TT earth connection to protect against accidental connection to the caravan power in case of a fault. Incoming services such as water and possibly gas need to have insulated links or plastic pipes so that they cannot reintroduce the PME earth, to which they may be remotely bonded, and would nullify the TT completely.

two types of static caravans built to two different BS numbers.

Cant remember off the top of my head, but it was "Holiday Home" spec for traditional static caravans you would find on holiday parks.... and then "Park Homes" which are designed to be lived in as if it was a house... Increased insulation values, bigger bedroom, higher ceiling height....

Both came on a metal chassis with wheels, solely for transporting onto the pitch.
Whether its bricked up underneath doesnt matter... those bricks are purley decorative.

Both came with same double glazing, combi boiler etc

Another BS standard would be the 'twin unit' lodges.... which are 2 halves of a park home. 10ft wide or so for transporting... then sited next to each other and bolted together. The electrics would be installed in each half, then simply plugged into each other on site.

Reply to Plastic Consumer Unit in a caravan in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock