Discuss Popping/clicking noises from wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Polyfate

DIY
Reaction score
Last July I moved to a second floor flat and the first night I started noticing banging noises coming from my bedroom wall which I happen to share with the balcony. I tried to diagnose the problem since it happened every 20 minutes and came to the conclusion that it must be the thermal expansion of the outside pipe. However, there was a different clicking noise coming from the adjacent wall and this came from within the wall. I've spent the last 6 months living with this constant annoyance to the point where I gave up.

However, due to the coronavirus outbreak and me having to stay home I've called an electrician this Monday to have a look (not the first time) and I want to make sure I can guide him through the problem. So far, I've discarded it being a heating pipe or a wiring issue and I'm almost sure it may be coming from the rediffusion box which I know is very old but haven't been able to open yet. The issue happens regardless of the weather although the banging noises on the gutter happen more often when it's sunny.

If any of you guys could give me ideas of why this could be happening I would highly appreciate it, I really would love to spend the quarantine without stressing out over silly noises.

Pics/Videos of noises

forget the rediffusion box.it's all dead these days. ytou either got an electrical fault (arcing) or heating pipes banging when water flows. could be air in the heating system.

You mention banging noises on the gutter. This is very common and is caused by the UPVC expanding as it gets warmer.
Yes, I figured out that one quite quickly. Is there any feasible solution to it? Wrapping it with foam? However, the noise that is the most constant is the clicking one which comes from the other wall (the one I share with the balcony) and I really have tried everything to no effect

The noise from inside the wall is likely to be water pipe expansion rather than electrical I would say, but difficult to be certain without being that obviously.

The noise from inside the wall is likely to be water pipe expansion rather than electrical I would say, but difficult to be certain without being that obviously.
I mean it's a very thin brick wall, I highly doubt any pipe can fit through it. I've seen other people suggest if there are any holes on the wall (in my case, the one for the broadband cable), then the wind could cause that clicking noise on the plaster, but honestly I'm out of ideas.
[automerge]1584828389[/automerge]
could it be termites?
Definitely not, it's not a lengthy noise as you can hear on the video. That's why I'm assuming it must be a wiring issue such as described here popping noise from wall - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/popping-noise-from-wall.63498/page-2 . But the only place where the wires could be coming from is the rediffusion box I mentioned.

This is very common and is caused by the UPVC expanding as it gets warmer.
Uk South facing wall , sun comes out from behind clouds ,
clicking begins in about 5 mins ... Guttering trapped by 45 degree angles on bay window guttering !
other seasonal spring specials ..
No soffit s, birds nesting under guttering.
--Sometimes go quiet if you make a noise.

I doubt this is an electrical problem, but very easy to tell if it is or not. Do this at a time that the noise has been particularly noticeable. Switch off the main switch at your consumer unit (fuse box). If there is more than 1 consumer unit in your flat, turn off the main switches to them too. Now you have no power to your flat. Go sit in your bedroom in silence for an hour or so, listening for the noise. If it's still there, then it's highly unlikely to be an electrical problem.

Hi, did you ever find out what the cause was? I have exactly the same problem! It has been driving me nuts during the lockdown! Sunlight/vibrations/cooling down seem to trigger the clicking, it sounds like metal clicking. My broadband seems to be very near the source too.....

Hi, did you ever find out what the cause was? I have exactly the same problem! It has been driving me nuts during the lockdown! Sunlight/vibrations/cooling down seem to trigger the clicking, it sounds like metal clicking. My broadband seems to be very near the source too.....

Clicking sounds that happen on rising or falling temperatures are often plastic expanding uPVC gutters and fascia are common culprits.

I get all sorts of noisies in my place... all thermal effects, except one... sometimes the wind blows at an angle that causes a fluttering noise... like a plastic bag being blown. Everytime I hear it, I swear I'll investigate and sort it out... but I never do.

I really wish that was the answer but sadly it is definitely coming from the wall. I get all the usual gutter/roof noises etc., I am on the top floor of a 1970's building. The wall is brick on the outside and concrete breeze block on the inside with a cavity in between. There is an internal render/skim on the breeze block wall so I did wonder if that had lost its bond slightly. No obvious cracks in the wall though. I've had the electrics checked but not the telephone/broadband which is generally where the clicking sound seems to come from.

Reply to Popping/clicking noises from wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net