Search the forum,

Discuss power dissipated in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Basically I have got my 301 unit 1 exam next week, and there is this question bugging me in one of these practice mock exams.

Please help, but using the formulas and letters used in the 2330 c+g so I remember it for the exam.

Qst: A capacitor of 100uf is connected in parallel with a 20ohm pure resistor. The group is connected to a 200v 50hz supply. Calculate the power dissipated in the combination.

a.2000w
b.2400w
c.3000w
d3600w

and my teacher said the answer is A. 2000w

What I thought you do:

xc = 1/ 2π x 50 x 0.0001= 31.8ohms

Then add the 31.8ohm reactances to the 20ohm resistor (in parrellel) ....
1/ 31.8 + 1/ 20 = 12.28ohms

Now I have the resistance and the voltage is given so I = V/R =16.29a

and to answer the question, P= V x I (200 x 16.29= 3258watts)

I really can't think of where I am going wrong, I think it something with the way I am add the reactance and resistance together :s

hi, i struggled with this one too, tutor told me that there is no power in capacitor/inductor, (maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could explain why),
the answer is a 2000w

I=v/r= 200/20 =10a
p=IxV = 10x200 = 2000w

hope this helps

hi, i struggled with this one too, tutor told me that there is no power in capacitor/inductor, (maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could explain why),
the answer is a 2000w

I=v/r= 200/20 =10a
p=IxV = 10x200 = 2000w

hope this helps

I f'ing knew that cap/iduc use 0watts too! (Just forget on this question :confused:)

So yes, I think you just do what I did, but don't add the reactance with the resistance and just use the 20ohms

cheers pal

it catches me out sometimes with how the Qs are worded, had my 301 exam last thursday, passed , a lot of Qs on motors in the exam
all the best for next week

motors is probs my weakest area. All the formulas I seem to remember. But with the motors there seems to be loads: ac,dc,3phase...then loads of different ones within these 3! and remembering how to reverse the rotation or what components each has! nighmare mate. But well done on your 301

Reply to power dissipated in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net