Discuss Pricing for jobs advice required in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all . I am new to the Electrical world and wondering how do you price for jobs. I would appreciate any advice on where to start with this. Do you start with a minimum standing charge or just price for estimated time and materials. Distance?

Thanks

Neil

A lot of variables here.
1. work out you annual overheads and divide by 40. that's what you need per week to keep afloat.
2. work out an hourly rate to give you the wage you want/need, added to the overheads / week, bearing in mind that a lot of time is non-productive, e.g. paperwork, going to suppliers etc.
3. estimate the time for a job in hours, multiply by you hourly rate, add materials.

on larger jobs you could price per point./ e.g. £50 standard plastic socket/switch/pendant, more for fancy accessories and more for things like cooker isolators etc.

Yes. Both, all options and versions.
Short jobs on hourly rate. Bigger jobs on a day rate as you don't have to factor in multiple travelling time/tool loading and unloading/multiple paperwork, etc.
Try not to do anything on a fixed price until you know what you are about and what your work rate is.
Do not expect to fill every hour of the day with charegeable work, if you are doing several small jobs in a day.

Materials cost,
don't forget to include a price uplift. If nothing else to cover your travelling/paperwork/delivery/goods in & out procedures.
You are in business to make a PROFIT. Nobody sells goods on at the same price that they buy them at.
Do not let customers buy materials. It WILL cost YOU your time sorting out their stupidity.

Unwilling to provide any more detailed info on a public forum. You'd need to get access to the Electricians Arms and ask on there, if you want anybody to lift their kimono.

Assuming you have a vehicle and the basic tools, you need to budget about £6K per year for your business overheads.

In year 1 you need to break even .............
In year 2 you need to aim to make £10K profit

Anything above these figures is a bonus

PS: Keep ALL your invoices and seperate out invoices for goods you buy to sell on from the ones for your business overheads..

Reply to Pricing for jobs advice required in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net