Discuss Private Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All.

Here's my situation, im currently NICEIC QS where I work, im earning a half decent wage but its never enough right.
Im debating with the idea of setting up on my own but the thought of trying to replace my salary is frightening, mortgage and family so very risky. Not got enough savings to feel confident.

So im thinking its more realistic to stay as I am and try and push my PJs. Im only really after the cash in hand jobs evenings and weekends.
I have a mate who says he will 3rd party certify for me.
Im thinking of joining Stroma so I can self certify, but as you may know there's the fees that come with it.
Reg fee, insurance fees, books to buy. And what ever I haven't thought about......(please enlighten me)

I think I would have to set up as sole trader or Ltd to prove im a business to Storma.

Can you guys think of a cheaper way to legally achieve this?

Im thinking the cheapest out lay would be to get get Public Liability and Indemnity Insurance and use my mate to certify.

Hello All.

Here's my situation, im currently NICEIC QS where I work, im earning a half decent wage but its never enough right.
Im debating with the idea of setting up on my own but the thought of trying to replace my salary is frightening, mortgage and family so very risky. Not got enough savings to feel confident.

So im thinking its more realistic to stay as I am and try and push my PJs. Im only really after the cash in hand jobs evenings and weekends.
I have a mate who says he will 3rd party certify for me.
Im thinking of joining Stroma so I can self certify, but as you may know there's the fees that come with it.
Reg fee, insurance fees, books to buy. And what ever I haven't thought about......(please enlighten me)

I think I would have to set up as sole trader or Ltd to prove im a business to Storma.

Can you guys think of a cheaper way to legally achieve this?

Im thinking the cheapest out lay would be to get get Public Liability and Indemnity Insurance and use my mate to certify.

A right enough

??????????

Tried to edit post but judging from your question it didn't work, what I was going to say is , with a mortgage and young family I would stay where I was until you feel the time is right, nothing worse that being all enthusiastic about going it alone, only to find it;s all gone tat;s up, I know what its like, I have experience.

Tried to edit post but judging from your question it didn't work, what I was going to say is , with a mortgage and young family I would stay where I was until you feel the time is right, nothing worse that being all enthusiastic about going it alone, only to find it;s all gone tat;s up, I know what its like, I have experience.

Yes Pete to be fair I agree.
What I want to do I concentrate on my PJs on the side.
Ill get the proper insurance and with my mate to do the certs and notifications that surely must be the cheapest outlay option.

Yes Pete to be fair I agree.
What I want to do I concentrate on my PJs on the side.
Ill get the proper insurance and with my mate to do the certs and notifications that surely must be the cheapest outlay option.

Are you sure involving a 3rd party will be easier? And cheaper?

So your mate is will to take all liability for all of your jobs?? Will people not question the fact thT certificates been done by someone else and your name is not on it?

Don't forget to register with HMRC as SE and then save for your tax and ni bills.

Yeah right, If only! that's why us self-employed sole traders end up being noncompetitive with half the jobs we price.

There's always someone's "mate" who will do it on the cheap. :frown2:

So your mate is will to take all liability for all of your jobs?? Will people not question the fact thT certificates been done by someone else and your name is not on it?

Yes my mate will do the certs because he knows my level of competency. I don't do that many, I could probably get it done through my company but I try to keep my private affairs separate.
All I have to do is explain about the 3rd party cert issuer, no problem.

That's the world we live in.

Yep, we all want a bargain :)

One line that always makes me laugh is when I get a client ask me if a do "foreigners".

"I'm self-employed you dim wit so how can I do foreigners?" well that's what I'm really thinking when I polity turn them down.:6:

What they really mean is - would I do it for mates rates for cash on the cheap at a weekend? so as not to disrupt their important lives and eat into the cash they want to spend on their designer jeans

ooh.... I'm so bitter and jealous Lmao :73:

Last edited:
Unless you intend conducting periodic inspections, you would not need professional indemnity insurance.
To be registered with a scene as a sole trader, I imagine you would need to register with HMRC as self employed.

Yeah right, If only! that's why us self-employed sole traders end up being noncompetitive with half the jobs we price.

There's always someone's "mate" who will do it on the cheap. :frown2:

Really. Who are these customers who want their jobs done at the weekend? Can't think the last time I was asked about weekend work. And what do you do when your weekend job goes terribly wrong and you have to go back on Monday, take a sickie?

Yes there are a few cowboys around.... There always will be

Well if you were my QS, & I found you doing "foreigners" you would be sacked immediately for gross industrial misconduct, and you would be losing all of your employment benefits, as it would have been written into your contract, and I would potentially be looking into suggesting HMRC investigate you, plus, I would be looking to get the scams involved and be looking to report the person doing 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party sign off, because that’s illegal around here, under Part P.
Then I would be looking at all the jobs that you had done and the materials that you had booked to see if you had stolen materials with a view to reporting you to the police for theft.
I just hope that your employer is more forgiving than I would be.
Been there and been tucked up by employees, so it WILL NOT, happen again.
(However, as we all know, Part P is different in the 3 mainland jurisdictions, which doesn’t help.)

Well if you were my QS, & I found you doing "foreigners" you would be sacked immediately for gross industrial misconduct, and you would be losing all of your employment benefits, as it would have been written into your contract, and I would potentially be looking into suggesting HMRC investigate you, plus, I would be looking to get the scams involved and be looking to report the person doing 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party sign off, because that’s illegal around here, under Part P.
Then I would be looking at all the jobs that you had done and the materials that you had booked to see if you had stolen materials with a view to reporting you to the police for theft.
(However, as we all know, Part P is different in the 3 mainland jurisdictions, which doesn’t help.)
yes i agree you might get away with helping a family or friend with a little job but if you are thinking about doing you own work you nead to bite the bullet and set up properly on you own. not only could you loose you job you could have the tax man on your back .if your job is going well stick with it untill it ends then maybe set up on your own , don't jungle two jobs as im sure you will end up in a mess

dead oh dear...... Where would you stop?

I wouldn't stop.
Why should I the bloke would be taking work off my company, and taking work from his colleagues, despicable.
IMHO, it is tantamount to fraud.
If the guy ended up doing time then so be it, he took the risk and mucked up, his problem not mine, i would have others to consider too.
He would be taking work off them also.

Reply to Private Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net