Discuss Properly priced EICR is good value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening All

I’m doing a few EIRCs for the rental market and I thought I’d share my recent experience. I was asked to inspect a 2 BR flat, just on 5 yrs old. The flat is in excellent condition, it has always been rented and has the original EIC and the most recent gas safety cert.

Both certificates state gas bonding is present and correct. A 10mm conductor leaves the CU but I couldn’t find the far end. I reckon I spent my whole 45 minute EICR allocation just trying to find it (sorry, just my poor attempt to be funny ...).

Anyway, I did eventually find it, cut too short and never ever been attached to the incoming copper gas pipe.

Attachments

• A6F6B20A-5F52-4426-A069-7F203766931C.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 83
Surprising that pipe is even extraneous assuming it has a yellow plastic incomer

Maybe it’s buried in the screed or something on the consumers side?

Surprising that pipe is even extraneous assuming it has a yellow plastic incomer

Maybe it’s buried in the screed or something on the consumers side?
Hi - yes, the meter is outside and it’s copper from there around and through the wall and floor screed. I don’t remember if the meter incomer was yellow plastic, but they often are as you say.
[automerge]1594025689[/automerge]
Makes me wonder if it has been cut off....?
Hi - as there was no clamp present, my guess is it wasn’t removed by Kev Kitchen Fitter (say). I reckon it was mistakenly cut a bit short, Instal Spark left, Kev did cupboards, Instal Spark never fixed it (forgot or now too hard) and Test Spark never tested it. Mr Plumber ticked the box each year. And everyone was happy :) .

Last edited:
Anyway, I did eventually find it, cut too short and never ever been attached to the incoming copper gas pipe.
Same in my flat, but for the water bonding cable.

When they moved the gas meter they opened up the back of the under sink cupboard and Lo! there was decade old 6mm ready to be attached to the lead pipework but never done. Plenty of length in my case, but the fact the kitchen fitters had also hidden the water shut off stopcock by the same cupboard back panel says a lot...

gas pipe yellow may just be a sleeve over metal pipe, as gas regs say pipe must be sleeved when passing through masonry. something to do with the cement corroding metal pipes. we have same here at home . iron/steel gas pipe incoming with a yellow plastic tube around.

gas pipe yellow may just be a sleeve over metal pipe, as gas regs say pipe must be sleeved when passing through masonry. something to do with the cement corroding metal pipes. we have same here at home . iron/steel gas pipe incoming with a yellow plastic tube around.
Proper wet pants always sleeve pipes through cement brick walls with the next diameter pipe up...

Reply to Properly priced EICR is good value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net