Discuss Prosecution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it is true about fans needing 3A, then if its a new build you could take it from its own circuit...i fear for this though, wont be long before literally everything will have its own dedicated circuit.

in some countries in europe, each circuit in each room is fused separately, imagine a house with 13 rooms, could easily be 30 circuits,all rcbos, oh the cost of a CU change, happy days lol
this will be 19th edition

A total load of rubbish! If you stall one of them tiny fan motors, there's no way it could cause enough over current to start a fire Come on get real!

Seen the after math afew years ago fan caught on fire melt off wall landing in bath melting through bath. We carried out repairs for insurance company.

Elrick, so the solution is either on its own 3amp mcb, or having a fuse spur next to the fan isolator? The latter is going to have to take some working out in my head.

This thread has been a real food for thought. Honestly never ever thought of fusing a fan down, ever.

Elrick, so the solution is either on its own 3amp mcb, or having a fuse spur next to the fan isolator? The latter is going to have to take some working out in my head.

This thread has been a real food for thought. Honestly never ever thought of fusing a fan down, ever.

not that difficult really, just put FCU before bath light, assuming its 3 plate, then alls good, fan isolator in normal place,

question is, what if your fitting a 12v fan, and the transformer has a 100mA fuse built in

If it's a new build you could easily work the circuit on a 3amp breaker (all the lighting in my house hardly goes over 1 amp), especially being all the pendants should (more or less anyway) be low energy. MK is the only manufacture I've seen selling them en masse but I'm sure there will be others

And I'm with the general consensus that the fan would of burnt out long before the fuse thought about blowing :lol:

A total load of rubbish! If you stall one of them tiny fan motors, there's no way it could cause enough over current to start a fire Come on get real!

Seen a few burn out in panels before (industrial) and they do literally melt away to nothing.
A few have caused fires in the past and actually thinking about it they were fused inline and the fuse never blew!!!!
Usually though in those type of panels you get a 240v/110v supply before the main isolator so you can use panel lighting/fans/sockets etc so they do get rated up a bit.

I believe that there is.

Is there wish I had known that mate just recently fitted a3A FCU & 3 pole pull switch isolator high level out the zones for a fan in my bruvs bathroom as manufacturers stated 3A fuse
so a 3 pole iso with a fuse would have been ideal

its got to be safer now than the fan it replaced as that was wired in 1mm direct from the shower pull switch which was wired in 6mm and fed from 32A Bs3036 the 6mm was also tapped off with a Jb hidden and 2.5mm out under boards in loft to a old FCU in bedroom which used to feed to the old central heating system all still connected even though fan had given up long ago , central heating has been replaced and moved to new location and shower had now been replaced with a thermostatic mixer tap Type shower as the shower had given up the mice had also been at cable at some point also No RCd old wylex wooden backed Fusebard well open wooden backed with Bs 3036 fuses 4 way each way stuffed with as many cables as could possibly ft for various circuits

I think the main point the assessor was making was that when the shi& hits the fan (or in this case, fire!) the lawyers can have you in court with your pants down. I will call the ECA guy sometime this week and ask him for any more details on the story.

Reply to Prosecution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net