Discuss Prosecution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Reaction score
We had our ECA assessor visit today and while we were chatting he mentioned a case in London where a contractor had done an apartment block. There was a fan in a bathroom which had gotten stuck and the motor had caught alight and caused a major fire. Everything he'd done was as per BS7671, except however he hadn't fused the fan down to 3A as per the fan manufacturers instructions. Now this contractor has been prosecuted.
Now how many times have you seem a bathroom fan fused down to 3A? I haven't at all, it's always just the 6A Mcb providing protection.

It does happen, there are the odd one or two that have been fused down.
I think I even may hace installed a couple.
It is rather rare though I must admit.
I don't suppose you know the name of the firm?

Don't know how they can be prosecuted, the fuse in a FCU or plug-top is not for the fans protection, only the lead or cord supplying it. Perhaps they should be prosecuting the manufacturer of the fan!! Far more likely this is just another tall story doing the rounds, or the story has been *******ised the further it went around!! lol!!

No he didn't want to say the company name, just that they were a good firm and they'd had good working practises in other respects. Makes you wonder though doesn't it?

No he didn't want to say the company name, just that they were a good firm and they'd had good working practises in other respects. Makes you wonder though doesn't it?

Why would he not want to name the firm? Unless there are extreme circumstances this information is avaianle publically anyway.

sounds like another tale like E54 says.

Very well put I must congratulate you.................. I take my hat off to you as well
Don't know how they can be prosecuted, the fuse in a FCU or plug-top is not for the fans protection, only the lead or cord supplying it. Perhaps they should be prosecuting the manufacturer of the fan!! Far more likely this is just another tall story doing the rounds, or the story has been *******ised the further it went around!! lol!!

Can't say i have either, although i fuse heaters down when wiring them from a FCU accordingly so no idea why i don't do a fan when i look at it that way lol

I don't know if its that case in lakanal house, only what the ECA assessor said, which I already stated.
It's worth looking at the fan instruction now though I guess.

Reply to Prosecution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net