Discuss Asbestos Artex Ceilings and Wiring in Suspended Ceiling for Bathroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dave1901

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in a property built in 1911. It has had asbestos artex applied to every ceiling in the house. I am currently creating a new bathroom, which will have 4 downlights, 4 low level lights on motion sensor, an extractor fan, an LED mirror, wall mounted toothbrush charger, and a shaver socket. The room currently has only a single ceiling rose, wired from the attic above, which I can access.

To get around the artex problem, allow for downlights, and have room for extraction pipes, I have opted to put in a suspended ceiling, bringing the new ceiling height down to 2.4m.

I would like to:
  • Use the existing ceiling rose to power the new 4 downlights, and the extractor fan. I have done this so far (see images).
  • Break into the lighting circuit in the attic, add a new junction box that will control the 4 low level lights. The switch and light wires can be fed through the 1 existing hole I have to work with in the artex ceiling (see images, I have stuck some wood through the hole to show space for wires).
  • Add an additional permanent live to this junction box, running to an FCU in the bathroom (with correct fuse size, behind the LED mirror, more than 0.6m above the sink), that will power the LED mirror, toothbrush holder, and shaver sockets.
I believe bullet points 2 and 3 here are fine. However, bullet point 1 means the existing ceiling rose is left exposed (no cover screwed on). This is because it now has several wires (to downlights and extractor) coming out of it in the downward direction into the suspended ceiling void.

My question is: Is this 'exposed' ceiling rose ok, given that it will be within a suspended ceiling and so could only ever be touched if someone were to venture into the suspended ceiling in the future? If this is not ok, what would be the simplest way to rectify this?

TL;DR
Is an exposed (no cover screwed on) ceiling rose ok within a suspended ceiling (domestic property)?

Attachments

• downlights in suspended ceiling.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 21
  • ceiling rose above susp ceiling.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 21
  • wiring from ceiling rose to switch, lights, extractor.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 21
  • the one other hole in artex close up.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 21
  • new pull cord switch.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 20
  • the one other existing hole in artex .jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 19
  • extractor piping and downlight.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 18
  • existing ceiling rose.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 16
  • existing ceiling rose 2.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 20
No, that should definitely not be left like that. It needs replacing with a suitable maintenance free junction box.

Are all these circuits RCD protected?

Last edited:

Reply to Asbestos Artex Ceilings and Wiring in Suspended Ceiling for Bathroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net