• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss PVC conduit ends on Metal CU?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All

Is this allowed under amendment 3?
View attachment 31625

Yes its a conduit female end into the side of the CU with T&E coming out into the trunking.

No it is NOT my work!

Makes you wonder why the sparkie that made this abortion didn't drill a hole at the trunking interface, talking of trunking what did he cut the end with? oh I know he chewed it.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder why the sparkie that made this abortion didn't drill a hole at the trunking interface, talking of trunking what did he cut the end with? oh I know he chewed it.

Sorry I cant comment on his work, but I do agree with everything above!

My concern was with the current fire ratings on these boards, if you drill a hole in them and install pvc, you are reducing the fire rating - am I correct??

views please

My concern was with the current fire ratings on these boards, if you drill a hole in them and install pvc, you are reducing the fire rating - am I correct??

views please

Rough as second hand ar*****es, but compliant to my knowledge and understanding.

views please

The boards don't have a fire rating, they are manufactured from a non combustible material. These are two very different things

Interesting one this. Do the regs say anything about making ALL opens fire retardant ? I don't think so.......

More carp from the IET.

Yes.

I use the Wilts badged units. I discard the plastic blanks and use the new metal Wylex blanks

I've never yet come across the metal blanks, what do they look like? And how do they fit/how are they earthed?

I much prefer full blanks to the clip in strips available and always use the wherever possible

Yes I can see it's ok in that respect as obviously the MCBs/RCDs etc can't be entirely made from metal. I just wondered why some other manufacturers bother with metal blanks.

Because the new regs were, and to some extent still are, a miasma of confusion among manufacturers and electricians alike. This is always worth exploiting with new products as there is money to be made, and products that tried to pre empt requirements to be shifted off shelves.

At the end of last year I had a local wholesaler trying to sell me intumescent sealing compound, metal wiska tails glands, metal blanks and all sorts. When I told him I didn't need any of it he asked "Well why would the suppliers tell me that you do need them then?" I thought, well you're in the business of selling stuff, you figure it out.

I've never yet come across the metal blanks, what do they look like? And how do they fit/how are they earthed?

I much prefer full blanks to the clip in strips available and always use the wherever possible

I have only seen a metal blank offering from wylex so far. They just sort of clip into the din aperture on the board lid much like the crappy plastic "strip" blanks.

Pretty much identical to a single MCB width plastic blank and they need fitting in before the outer cover goes on as they need engaging in with small tabs that go behind the cover. I suppose they're earthed where they touch.

I use the din rail mounted plastic blanks. Some of the plastic clip in blanks are not fit for purpose. Personally I don't see the point in metal blanks TBH, especially when the surrounding switchgear is all plastic. The metal lid is there for a reason.

To the OP, the IP rating needs maintaining on openings but does not require intumescent sealant around it.

Last edited:

Reply to PVC conduit ends on Metal CU?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back