Discuss qualifications ??? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi macsparky
i have read the threads you have linked to !!!
I have city&guilds 2330 level 2 and level 3 and 2382 17th edition
does this just cover domestic only
thanks Rich

Domestic, commercial and industrial my friend. Surely if you have these quals you must know what you covered at college?

thanks for response cirrus .yes i understand three phase and can inspect and test industrial but i have mainly worked with a niceic guy on domestic .I am going for a domestic installers scheme ( niceic ) will i still be able to legaly work on industrial with out a nvq level 3
thanks Rich

As far as i know there aren't any real pre-requisites apart from bs7671 and 2391 for testing/working on commercial/industrial work, i think the nvq3 is one of the requirements by jib to be recognised as an approved electrician:rolleyes:....bit of a mine field really and this was also discussed recently, im sure someone will correct me here if this is wrong:D

Thanks macsparky
the information is very helpfull to me at least i know giving up my saturdays for three years was worth it ( I attended chelmsford college on saturdays )
Rich

Its a hard life these weekend and evening classes. I'll be done with my 2330 lvl 3 in a week or 2. Then will have to do 2391 and 17th. Both only 10 weeks or so. So nearly there

Keep it going danzor, surely you can almost smell the money now;) i too have the 2391 in july (pants becoming slighty soiled over this one) lol....:)

Its a hard life these weekend and evening classes. I'll be done with my 2330 lvl 3 in a week or 2. Then will have to do 2391 and 17th. Both only 10 weeks or so. So nearly there

Same as me Danzor - can't wait now:cool:

As far as i know there aren't any real pre-requisites apart from bs7671 and 2391 for testing/working on commercial/industrial work, i think the nvq3 is one of the requirements by jib to be recognised as an approved electrician:rolleyes:....bit of a mine field really and this was also discussed recently, im sure someone will correct me here if this is wrong:D

there are no pre-requisites for anything

only thing required is COMPETENCE

no-one needs the 2391 to test&inspect, however individual organisations (NIC etc) may require you to hold it to do PIR's under THEIR name (and paperwork) although there is nothing to stop you doing them on generic forms

Most employers require applicants for electrician positions to have experience. If you are a fresh graduate from an electrician school, you may have some problems. The best way to earn experience in your field is to undergo an apprenticeship program. :D

there are no pre-requisites for anything

only thing required is COMPETENCE

So you don't NEED 2330,2391, ABCD, etc Shakey?
Who classifies you as competent?
I know you've told me this before but I have a crap memory

So you don't NEED 2330,2391, ABCD, etc Shakey?
Who classifies you as competent?
I know you've told me this before but I have a crap memory

what i said was you dont NEED 2391 to inspect and test

trouble is, if you are going to work for anyone, join a competent persons scheme etc etc, that competence is firstly defined by quals

Most people will define their own competence

Heres an example Bane:

If i asked you to change a 40W bulb in my living room do you consider you are competent to do it (please say yes:p)

then how about taking on a contract to design install test and inspect the entire olympic village being built (please say no:eek:)

Ok, you you will sit somewhere in between, and you know what you are happy with

ask the average guy who does Periodics in houses if he fancies doing one for his local Asda or tesco, and he will probably turn a shade of green

So in answer to who defines your competence - most of the time YOU do;)

and how do you prove competency prior to commencing any work .Photos of previous work doesnt count:D

and how do you prove competency prior to commencing any work .Photos of previous work doesnt count:D

and thats my point Wayne;)

2391 is a classic example

it is not a pre-requisite to hold 2391 to do PIR's

but without it who would take you on doing inspecting and testing?

And i am not saying holding 2391 , or any other qual, proves competency

but it gives you a head start dont it?:rolleyes:

Help
I would like to join niciec as a domestic installer i have 2330 level 2 and level 3 and 17th edition The question is i want to work part time only as i have a full time job. working p/t (weekends evenings holidays ect) being a mature student i have lifes exsperiances and have worked with sparks over the years part time is it true that if i join niceic i have to be trading for 6 months or can i become a member by showing my competance with 2 installations and showing competance in the regs and visual inspection& testing

Reply to qualifications ??? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock