Discuss Quality Of New Build Electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Done some work recently on a local new build estate (Countryside Homes), the standard of electrical work is dire (mind you the build quality is rubbish also), is this normal on new builds?

In the house I worked on today the consumer unit looked like spaghetti junction, there were two holes in the bottom of the consumer unit where the sparks had drilled holes and then decided to put the tails elsewhere and all the lighting circuits were on one RCD. The whole job looked like it had been done by Stevie Wonder whilst ----ed. To be frank my eight year old could have done a better job. I was shocked by the lack of pride shown by whoever had completed the work.

Done some work recently on a local new build estate (Countryside Homes), the standard of electrical work is dire (mind you the build quality is rubbish also), is this normal on new builds?

In the house I worked on today the consumer unit looked like spaghetti junction, there were two holes in the bottom of the consumer unit where the sparks had drilled holes and then decided to put the tails elsewhere and all the lighting circuits were on one RCD. The whole job looked like it had been done by Stevie Wonder whilst ****ed. To be frank my eight year old could have done a better job. I was shocked by the lack of pride shown by whoever had completed the work.
A lot of new builds on big housing estates are rubbish as the prices are screwed to the bare minimum. There's the odd exception though but most are lashed in so the sparks/team can earn a crust. The smaller jobs seem to be of better quality IMO. I do a lot of new builds and can assure you they are top notch.;)

Waiting for the good old days gang to turn up , but some of the rubbish I've seen in 70s and 80s jobs haven't been that great (am in Liverpool so I'll blame telectrix ). Must admit old school busbar isolator etc is so much better

My best mate is "team leader" or whatever, he is currently on a new build site and he is on £120 a day with a 5 hour round trip to site.

When i went quiet for a few weeks last year, he said i could do a couple of weeks with him but not to expect anywhere near his money.

I politely declined and did half days locally for around the same money they were offering for a 13 hour day (including travelling)

Unfortunately these big sites are driving down sparks and most others trades pay which is wrong, but i cant see a way of turning it around. There will always be people willing to work for peanuts.

My best mate is "team leader" or whatever, he is currently on a new build site and he is on £120 a day with a 5 hour round trip to site.

When i went quiet for a few weeks last year, he said i could do a couple of weeks with him but not to expect anywhere near his money.

I politely declined and did half days locally for around the same money they were offering for a 13 hour day (including travelling)

Unfortunately these big sites are driving down sparks and most others trades pay which is wrong, but i cant see a way of turning it around. There will always be people willing to work for peanuts.
that why i haven't started up myself ,don't like the job am in ,but it's easy and the money crap ,but don't have to fight to the bottom to earn the same or less (mud spreaders i know are earning a lot more than most sparks and they don't sign anything off so no paper trail for Mr taxman )

When many of us older tradies were trained up, the emphasis was on quality work.
But now decades later, that is not so.
now it is about efficency and speed
quality seem less important
houses are now built to a price
if it has to be fixed again in 20 years, so be it
new world !

Agree,electrics are getting rougher & rougher.Seen 1 guy trying to sheath ring main down to a socket on 1st fix,it's shocking,no smoothing the cables out,& keeping them in line,then when fixed checking both can pull easily,he's just put sheathing on,twisted & tangled I walked away,never said a word,& never went back to that job.

Agree,electrics are getting rougher & rougher.Seen 1 guy trying to sheath ring main down to a socket on 1st fix,it's shocking,no smoothing the cables out,& keeping them in line,then when fixed checking both can pull easily,he's just put sheathing on,twisted & tangled I walked away,never said a word,& never went back to that job.
What do you mean sheath ring main?
Capping over the twin and earth cables?

What do you mean sheath ring main?
Capping over the twin and earth cables?
Think he means cable covering on a new build, prior to plastering

When many of us older tradies were trained up, the emphasis was on quality work.
But now decades later, that is not so.
now it is about efficency and speed
quality seem less important
houses are now built to a price
if it has to be fixed again in 20 years, so be it
new world !
In my experience, during my house bashing days there woul probably be 1 Qualified Spark and 2,3, either mates or Apprentices doing the wiring maybe 6 months experience, not bothered how they did the work, their only concern was Pay Day and where am I going to go on the pess tonight, no pride, and by all accounts nothing much has changed.
I have seen youngsters with a mobile glued to their lugholes, far to busy yapping to their mates to take care of the trade that pays their wages.:mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thats why new builds have some rough installs imo

Just avoid new builds - there are better ways to earn a living and enjoy yourself...

I always used to reel off cable from drum albeit use of scaffold outside etc. in my days as Q.S. kept on seeing younger sparks spiral off drum ,circuits logical Inc.in C.U. all these small things add up (however what can you do when your boss don't support you)

No...give me a new build over scratching around under someones floor or up in a loft packed full of insulation any day of the week.:)

Ok..... with caveat "unless you can agree the correct fees to do the job properly"

One of my mates spends all his time on "mansions" for a quality builder - gets months of work and his approach is quality and "old school"!

I'm going to ruffle a few feathers and say it depends on industry also. Found a better calibre of sparky when predominantly working on industrial construction. I also found greater emphasis on doing it right first time. I would find it quite embarrassing another spark criticising someone else's work because it's rubbish. Although if the money's not there and the lads are getting roasted then... I don't know?

I would expect most are capable of doing a good job to the best of their ability

Its when the cost factors of production kicks in that pressures build on the firms, hence the individuals via low job prices and cut throat rates,it may force many to prioritise output over quality level

This probably happens in bulk construction like major house builders,(self builds I would expect to see much higher standards than a building site with mass production)
Where jobs are individually large,say for instance a hospital/factory/power plant etc the build quality can be better ensured
Its economics that dictate much of the standards that prevail

Reply to Quality Of New Build Electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock