Discuss Quality of work in new builds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, working round a friends brand new house at the weekend and discovered this in the meter box. Why can’t people do things properly? Also twisted cpc’s in common sleeving and no cable identification on 3C+E s

Quality of work in new builds 59B33AEC-18DA-425F-B1E1-F0591EC1FEB9 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
What size is that? My impression is 10mm but I can't say I know enough.

Also they seem to be a bit short in length for the CPC! Still, at least they used a gland...

With that bracket it almost looks like someone specially designed it to be installed like that!

I wonder whether someone thinks that's adequate? Can't see copper, IR tests OK, tick the box and move on.

I think the word "quality" in your title is a bit of a misnomer. No identification of cable by colour. I would have got a metal isolator and glanded into it. No seal on holes in box. Not straight. Inadequate security of fixings i.e. the cut-out. Poor workmanship, I could not work like that, and maybe it was a requirement for the persons doing the work to do that. Agree with @pc1966 size of cable probably inadequate as nowadays all heating will be electric???? as gas is not used so much.

Have you got a picture of the other end lol, or have you seen it?

I’m surprised they even bothered with the bracket type thingy.
i recently saw a brand new multi million pound house where the armouring was simply cut off and the cores terminated directly into the meter.
Infact it was like this at both ends , so the armour had not been earthed at all...

another rough thing I come across occasionally on new ish installations is a ec14 clamp used on the armouring in the meter cupboard.

This kind of thing simply defies explanation. Whoever did that had enough knowledge to gland the SWA, and connect a copper link with a ring terminal to the armour.....and yet they didn't think basic insulation requires enclosing, or that cores need identifying?
Edit
Thinking about it though.....meter cupboards require a tool to open the door, now I wouldnt do this but I suppose it could be argued that this is in an enclosure with a lockable door and hence complies, perhaps the only non compliance here is the lack of core ID?

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago i fitted some new lights to replace ceiling roses in a brand new house for an old colleague of mine. This house was part of a bigger development and certainly not cheap (not that that should make any difference).
When i took the cover off the ceiling rose the terminations were truly appalling, loads of copper showing, no brown sleeving on the switch wire, negligible cpc sleeving and one cpc was completely out. I checked a few other fittings and sockets and found pretty much the same story and this was a job that had been certificated by an nic registered company about a month before.
Certainly makes you wonder about the whole development and just because somebody is in a scheme it doesn't mean that their standards are any good

True but it’s in an enclosure which can only be accessed with a key/tool thus satisfying the regulations.
I was thinking along the same lines, but as this is expected to be accessed by unskilled persons checking meter readings or operating the main switch it is certainly poor practice and could be considered unsafe.

I was thinking along the same lines, but as this is expected to be accessed by unskilled persons checking meter readings or operating the main switch it is certainly poor practice and could be considered unsafe.
Regulations don’t make any distinction between skilled or unskilled persons opening an enclosure such as a meter box or even a CU cover, as long as a key or tool is needed then it’s deemed deliberate action, also internal barriers giving protection against live accessible parts are in place, I don’t like it but I can’t see a regulation not adhered to (basic insulation wise anyway)?
Maybe the Meter guys or DNO might not like it?

I mean unless anyone can add anything to it to say why you can’t have basic insulation exposed in the enclosure?
I think it stems from always installing insulated and sheathed tails as common practice and to now install Swa and exposing the inner cores , it looks a bit wrong but only because it’s different, if that makes sense?

I like to think of it like the old 'O' Level grades... A to C was a pass, below that was a fail.

So that meter box might scrape a grade C.... But that will always be the case for big company, mass built, modern housing. Why spend more money to improve it to a higher grade ?

Reply to Quality of work in new builds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock