Discuss Questions about "price per point" for domestic in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
I've been working for a firm for a number of years now with jobs on the side, recently gone full time solo. Everything I've done up until now has been either day rate, or price work.

I'm based in Surrey / Middlesex by the way, most of my work is in the areas surrounding Heathrow airport and along the Thames.

I've been reaching out to local builders for work and a question I keep getting is "what's your price per point" ... As it's not something I've done before or ever worked out, I'm hoping someone here can give me some perspective on doing things this way and if it's a viable way of quoting, as well as some rough idea of sensible prices per point for various types of domestic properties.

Can someone explain to me how you define your "points", and then what you charge for those?

The main things I'm thinking of that would affect the price per point are the construction of the building (timber frames vs. concrete slab), and size.

On top of my price per point I'm also thinking to charge £350 for C.U + cert.

Many thanks guys.

Hi mate. Best to do a search on here for a price per point, as I've seen threads where people have given prices.

Out of curiosity, how can you charge £350 for a CU+cert? What size CU? Is it fitted with RCBO's or breakers?
If you are going to quote that price, I would state more info with it, or you may get screwed over.

Point used to be per socket or per light, bit more difficult now when you have multiple fittings in a living room or kitchen.

Also reach out to the local architects.

I would go back to some of your price work, then play around with prices per point. I only do prices per point on sockets, lights and downlights. A shower circuit or cooker circuit is always going to cost more although you can say that they are 2 or 3 points, same with 2-way switching. Bonding and C/U change is an extra cost.
So if you charged £5000.00 for one of your priced jobs and know exactly what you put in you will get a fairly accurate figure per point. The more you can do this the more accurate your "per point" figure will become.

Per point system; you are going to have to accept a win some you lose some mentality, be prepared to look at the bigger picture over the course of a whole year.. some jobs you may have 4 sockets all next to each other and on another job they might be in opposing corners of a room..
Makes pricing a doddle but you need to look work out your costs and a good strategy

I worked for a firm who did price per point for a large building company and believe me the margins were very tight.
It really didn't allow much for call backs and mistakes etc
Price per point looks good on paper but buyer beware imo.
Most builders that I know are happy to pay day rate for sparks in the region of £180-£250 per day. You might be better doing this way...

In 1994, I worked for Pimlico Council re-wiring some flats.
The flats had all been wired in conduit, with the conduit being used as the CPC.
We were supposed to pull through the new wiring plus CPC through the conduit.
We also had to add some extra sockets.
For new sockets and if we were unable to pull through, we were allowed to use plastic trunking.
Price per point was about £2.50 and the trunking was £1.80 per meter. Can’t remember the price for CUs or bathroom extract fans.

We would chase in rather than use trunking if the tenant wished. This had to be for a price agreed with the tenant and the work had to be out of hours.

Ahhh council flat re-wires

One of my very first jobs 'on the tools' was council flat re-wires.
I can't remember the exact rate but it was something like £4.50 per point 'labour only'.
I aimed to earn £70-£80 per day.
Those were the day :eek:

a realistic figure (supply and fit) per point is £50 -£60 per point for using bog standard white plastic accessories, bearing i mind that a light switch is 1 point as well as a point for the light (pendant). as TC points out (pun intended), allow more for things like cookers/showers/fans, both higher cable and acceeessory costs. downlighters are a different kettle of fish.... so many variables like insulation, type/cost of fittings etc. £350 is about right for a CU if a dual RCD board with no problems like low IR, hard to ID circuits, or borrowed neutrals

How on earth can your day rate vary by as much as £70 !!! or is the lower end for cash jobs?

It’s a rough gauge of what in my experience different builders / big electrical contractors will generally pay in my area.
If I Hop up the A3 to say Wimbledon the rate will be £250 , if I’m nearer to home in say ash vale it might be more like £180.

Cash jobs is each to their own

Reply to Questions about "price per point" for domestic in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock