Discuss quote- man hours for a 5 bed house in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

when you break it down like that, it makes lanky will sound even more of muppet lol.

What is the first thing you do when assesing a job? Look at the spec and count up all the "points" - I recently did a big extension and there were 22 downlights in 1 big room, in 5 "switches", 4 of which were 2 way switching. So the total points in the room worked out at 31. The ceiling was down so that helped but I reackon the first fix, hole drilling and 2nd fix took just about 2 days to complete!

Years ago we did something with price per bedroom when down lights started getting used what we used to do would be say 6 down lights kitchen, 4 bathroom that was it & it used work 1000 per bedroom & we even broke it down 2 or 3 times & it was within 100, saved ages on pricing you already had a price in your head & even if they wanted a few more down lights it was easy just to add. Have not done that for a few years because so much more involved with speakers surround sound IT points all over & shear amount of down lights dimming ect.

most 5 bed new build houses with double garages i have done are normally an executive style house and have a lot more involved with them like wall lights, down lighters, 2way switches next to beds , alarms, networking points, sky, etc not just the bog standard pendants and sockets.

^^^Agree^^^

On Monday I'm starting a 6 bed, 3 bathroom house with a 4 birth garage, a stand alone building for a gym, electric gates with intercom on both floors of the house and a lot of outside lighting, cctv, data points, phone points and alarm system. I've estimated 3 weeks for the first fix with myself and 5 others on it. If anyone can do it in a week by themselves @ £400 per day, I'll give you £2k cash and I'll give the rest of the lads the week off.

The domestic rewire has morphed into a bit more than just a couple of sockets and a single light fitting in each room these days. Data points in every bedroom, multiple down lights etc etc. Remote controlled lighting via an iPhone, speakers in the bathroom via the iPad. Anyone that thinks a domestic new build or rewire is easy think again.

Hi Paul M

just finished a job 6 beds, cart lodge underneath 1 bed, plant room, gym, study, break room, ect. Put in cost for electrics only at £18500, electrics with alterations £23,800, customer supplied 48 lights on job with lamps, finish mk white with Zano dimmers, tv & audio was another £25,500. Alarm system another £1800.00 camera's another £1900.00. A lot more in these builds now than there ever was & out of that lot the electrics should have been around £26-28k & then I would not have made a bad profit as was I about broke even on the electrics the rest not bad mark up. Just over 50k can tell you now it was not £400 for first fix even if you took all other bits out.

Sometimes i read the time you guys take on a job and think i must be the slowest spark in the world. Paul Ms post made me feel slightly better! I would love to be able to sink my teeth into a large job like that, instead all i seem to get is fixing other sparks f ups around here.

Sometimes i read the time you guys take on a job and think i must be the slowest spark in the world. Paul Ms post made me feel slightly better! I would love to be able to sink my teeth into a large job like that, instead all i seem to get is fixing other sparks f ups around here.
we have a massive 5+ bedroom newbuild soon to wire.

thats going to be interesting

Large jobs?? The increase of the size = increase the headaches.

Calibrating your own resources with other trades, the owner, the architect, the site foreman, wholesalers, transport for the lads..... The list goes on trust me. I would rather have 4 house re-wires in the same time and take a little bit less in money.

The big jobs will come in time via your reputation. But never bite off more than you can chew (EM lights/fire alarm). If/when that happens, subby it out to another firm/company that can do the job. It works out in the long run, trust me on that.

The next job after this is an old bank vault that needs ripping out and getting back to an industrial premise. 12 weeks due to the difficulties of works. Now that is interesting!!! 75% rip out,25% install with loads of cherry picker work outside in winter, looking forward to doing that myself lol.

At the same time as this I will be wire-ring up another site which is a 8-10 apartment block new build. I may be taking a bit of time away from the forum at this stage in my life. Needs a lot of attention, so I will take a bit of a break.

The big jobs will come. It is how you run them that counts when you building yourself up. Can you stand a £2k mistake? It is your pocket, your income and if you make a mistake can you take the hit? Been there and done that. Some of the other members on here have been hit for ssssooo much more. £2k is childs play but it still hurts when your starting out.

Large jobs?? The increase of the size = increase the headaches.

Calibrating your own resources with other trades, the owner, the architect, the site foreman, wholesalers, transport for the lads..... The list goes on trust me. I would rather have 4 house re-wires in the same time and take a little bit less in money.

The big jobs will come in time via your reputation. But never bite off more than you can chew (EM lights/fire alarm). If/when that happens, subby it out to another firm/company that can do the job. It works out in the long run, trust me on that.

The next job after this is an old bank vault that needs ripping out and getting back to an industrial premise. 12 weeks due to the difficulties of works. Now that is interesting!!! 75% rip out,25% install with loads of cherry picker work outside in winter, looking forward to doing that myself lol.

At the same time as this I will be wire-ring up another site which is a 8-10 apartment block new build. I may be taking a bit of time away from the forum at this stage in my life. Needs a lot of attention, so I will take a bit of a break.

The big jobs will come. It is how you run them that counts when you building yourself up. Can you stand a £2k mistake? It is your pocket, your income and if you make a mistake can you take the hit? Been there and done that. Some of the other members on here have been hit for ssssooo much more. £2k is childs play but it still hurts when your starting out.

Tell me about it my biggest job to date since I started on my own 5years ago is 43 flats and 16 houses all timber framed, just started them straight after Xmas. Already had some scumbags in, and have cut the T+E out of 5 flats.

Reply to quote- man hours for a 5 bed house in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net