Discuss RCD for bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

beekeeper

Hi everyone, my first post here in your very imformative forum, but just a couple of questions regardiong bathrooms installations.

Where a bathroom contains only low voltage lighting (Double insulated so no earthing required) why should an RCD be needed?, as we all know those things work on a current imbalance Ie. power flowing to earth due to a fault but if there is no earth it aint going to do anything so is totally unnecessary by my reasoning, any thoughts on that?

The other thing that i am not too sure on is the use of mains ceiling extractor fans once again double insulated, are these permisable when a bathroom does not contain a shower and is out of the splash region, i knoiw zone 3 no longer exists so in theory as it is now classed as zone two but if there is no way anyone can gain access to the interior exposed wiring without the use of tools i see no reason not to be able to install one.

The regs are never clear on some things.

BK

Hi and welcome to the forums....

Now this is my own opinion, but i would always put bathroom lighting on RCD if ive been working on it, as my name is on the cert.

As for fans, mains are fine, but again, i would not be happy about installing one directly over a bath, regardless of zones.
:)

Now this is my own opinion, but i would always put bathroom lighting on RCD if ive been working on it, as my name is on the cert.

As for fans, mains are fine, but again, i would not be happy about installing one directly over a bath, regardless of zones.
if there is 230v present in the bathroom on the supply side of the transformer
and the switch line and the rcd protects the cable

Many thanks for prompt reply Jason, yes i do appreciate what you are saying but could you put up a good argument for not doing so as i really think the regs are to rigid on that one and leave a lot to be desired.

BK

There is if its class I, although the cable should still have a cpc present, connected at the supply end.

Yes of course, although a cpc is always present in standard wiring cables and is connected at the supply end, it is not connected at the transformer, so in theory an RCD would only be protecting the supply cable and nothing else, which the way i see it is totally pointless, unless of course there is something else connected to that circuit which does require an earth connection in which case the Rcd would be required.

I just wish ithat nstead of all the rubbish concerning the nucleus of the regulation, someone for a change would just make a regulation that is in plain language that everyone can understand with grey areas eliminated.

BK

Reply to RCD for bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock