Discuss Rcd protection for domestic inatalls. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys. Am I right in interpreting the regs with regards to rcds that they need to be rated equal to or higher than the main supply fuse? So not to overload them? Or am I reading it wrong?
Thanks on advance.

The main switch needs to me equal to or higher than the upstream OCPD or equal to or higher than the combined ratings of the downstream OCPD.

Hi guys. Am I right in interpreting the regs with regards to rcds that they need to be rated equal to or higher than the main supply fuse? So not to overload them? Or am I reading it wrong?
Thanks on advance.
That's my understanding of the regs now that's why in a split RCD consumer unit Hager are fitting 100A RCD's by default.

So for reference,
If you have a 100a main tncs supply and a 100a main switch and 2 rcds of 63 amps then this complies? I thought that the rcds would need to be 100a so to not overload them? Just looking at boards in catalogues and noticed that the boards come with 2 63a rcds or 80a rcds and couldn't see how these still comply the only board I can see comply is hager.

The total load must not exceed the rating of the incoming device or the assigned assembly rating (InA) whichever is the lower

The trouble is only hager have done this and none of the other manufacturers seem to have followed suit. So cant see how they comply?
It's up to the installer how the install complies. A total potential load after the RCD less than the rating of the RCD will comply. If the potential load exceeds the rating of the RCD, an OCPD before the CU less than the rating of the RCD will comply.

In a domestic situation the customer rarely will have an opinion and some of the wholesalers own brands don’t cost much more than a split board...

But what if customer dont/want the cost of rcbos
Sell the RCBO's... we are electricians and we know what is right. Split load boards belong in the 80's. Things have changed, DC leakage current / electronic equipment. I don't compete with the flooding of the market with £60 complete (split load AC RCD's) boards. Explain the difference - give the option and if they want to fit the cheap board - find someone else to do it.

Well that's the thing I cant seem to find any manufacturer that does a type apart from hager.
Lewden... fitted a couple so far. Good price, nice quality, loads of room and a spare SPD slot right at the end (longer than the busbar). The only thing I don't like are the square grommets but hey, I'm warming to them.

Well that's the thing I cant seem to find any manufacturer that does a type apart from hager.
Hager do type A RCDs and RCBOs
Lewden do type A RCBOs
Wylex do type A RCDs and RCBOs
CP fusebox do type A RCBOs and are a cheap and popular option at the minute.
SBS trade sales do type A RCBOs

There are probably others too.

Hager do type A RCDs and RCBOs
Lewden do type A RCBOs
Wylex do type A RCDs and RCBOs
CP fusebox do type A RCBOs and are a cheap and popular option at the minute.
SBS trade sales do type A RCBOs

There are probably others too.

I should confess, I'm a pretty new Lewden 'fanboy'. but really like Wylex too. The only brand I'm beginning to loath (for CU's) are MK - who should be top. Their boards are rubbish (IMHO) now (for 18th) - everything else they make is great but they are falling behind big time - don't even make an SPD yet - but endorse Surge Protection Devices for use in their boards... messy!

I should confess, I'm a pretty new Lewden 'fanboy'. but really like Wylex too. The only brand I'm beginning to loath (for CU's) are MK - who should be top. Their boards are rubbish (IMHO) now (for 18th) - everything else they make is great but they are falling behind big time - don't even make an SPD yet - but endorse Surge Protection Devices for use in their boards... messy!
I've been using Lewden RCBO boards for a couple of years or more now. Can't complain at all, apart from maybe their SPD could be a bit cheaper.

Reply to Rcd protection for domestic inatalls. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock