Discuss rcd protection for power circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

yes, i agree with that. the confusion arises over whether it.s necessary to fit RCD protection at the source of the circuit that you have worked on or just to protect the new cable/accessories. one argument is that because you have worked on a particular circuit, then that circuit in it's entirity should conform to current regs..

Its not a new circuit,but an alteration to an existing one and not a radial.
Yes but the alteration must comply with relevant regulations do they not?

And yes "special location" sorry .... should have been more like "a place of danger where a RCD should not be used".. ^^

Yes but the alteration must comply with relevant regulations do they not?

And yes "special location" sorry .... should have been more like "a place of danger where a RCD should not be used".. ^^

Compliance with the Regulations can be achieved for instance by spuring off the existing circuit using an RCD FCU.
Another option might be to add an RCD socket back to back with an existing socket-outlet.
Always assuming that RCD protection is required for the socket-outlets.
There's no requirement to protect the whole circuit, unless of course you are installing a socket-outlet in a bathroom, or the installation is Agricultural/horticultural.
As for the lawn mower comment, I doubt very much that my Suffolk Punch will be any safer because I've got an RCD.
However it is a requirement to provide additional protection by means of an RCD for mobile equipment used outdoors.
Still doesn't require the whole circuit to be RCD protected.

No one in their right mind is going to install seperate circuits to accomodate the compliance with regulations.

anyone got a 50way CU that I can pick and choose which circuits I place on RCD and which I do not?

Its my real name IDC , your problem is if you are reported you will probably never get work.....

I think you'll find, that the majority of sparks (as in all but you), will install separate circuits.
They may not install them to accomodate compliance with the Regulations, they may install them for convenience, or simply because it's good practice.
As for needing a 50 way CU in order to be able to pick and choose, it's just not necessary, a 4 way will suffice.

I think you'll find, that the majority of sparks (as in all but you), will install separate circuits.
They may not install them to accomodate compliance with the Regulations, they may install them for convenience, or simply because it's good practice.
As for needing a 50 way CU in order to be able to pick and choose, it's just not necessary, a 4 way will suffice.
And you ar ehow old? for interest only?

Could be earthed metallic sheath, earthed conduit or trunking, mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration by nails or screws or can be run on the surface of the wall.

Yes of course, but then again when the customer says they don't want surface trunking, then I don't think that the use off mechanical protection is the next method on the list of the majority of electricians.

In reply to the OP, then the addition of the RCD is 99% of the time going to be the chosen method i'd of thought.

Reply to rcd protection for power circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock