Discuss RCD Trip in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just put a Split Board in my own house (a bit of a upgrade going on) and a problem with one of the RCD's.

Last minute post this and stopped work for the night.

I have not done any fault testing at the min, as having a relaxing Friday drink. However Fully weird every thing but with the main Isolator ON and when I switch both the RCD's on, one of them trips after 1sec or 2sec. That is with all the other MCBs in the OFF position. Can't think what might cause this other than a faulty NEW RCD. Am I forgetting anything before I dive in on Sat Morning to look at it ( just bi-passed it for Friday Night to keep the lights on and left one RCD in Circuit and all is OK)

Neutral to earth fault on one of your final circuits.

Should have tested before you went ahead and changed the CU no excuses, go and put the dunces cap on and stand in the corner, no house points for you bjkered

Thanks
I had initially discounted Neutral Earth as had not tripped on old RCD or the way I have Left it.

Had passed my brain as Neutral in wrong place. Which probably meant the initial installation ( some one else, before I bought the house) was wrongly labelled ( luxury) or they had crossed up a ring main. Neutral wrong place was my first thing to-
morrow. Thanks

Agree borrowed neutral, and if you didn't wire the house then check upstairs, downstairs lighting, as common practice with some sparks was to put landing light switch positioned downstairs on the downstairs live.

Last edited by a moderator:
as a temporary fix, try putting both lighting circuits on the same RCD. if that stops the tripping, then it's as post #10.^^^^^^.

As above lights on to one side of rcd

or as above the neutrals arnt identified to each circuit.

or post 9 or post 8!
can't disagree. could not be arsed to look back further. after all it is sunday a.m. a bit before beer time.

your old board saw all neutrals as common neutrals & your new consumer unit has 2 RCD's one neutral for each output of the RCD's installed although at the beginning they are common not on the outputs of each RCD, all as above really.

Thanks
I had initially discounted Neutral Earth as had not tripped on old RCD or the way I have Left it.

Had passed my brain as Neutral in wrong place. Which probably meant the initial installation ( some one else, before I bought the house) was wrongly labelled ( luxury) or they had crossed up a ring main. Neutral wrong place was my first thing to-
morrow. Thanks

Reply to RCD Trip in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock